Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1939 EK2 low height swastika

Hello from a new member

I am returning to collecting third reich medals after a long absence (most of my collection was bought in my teens - now 43). Due to the high levels of reproductions around and a lack of an extensive knowledge, I have now decided to be cautious in future buying and to probably collect repros. This is to avoid any costly mistakes !

After finding this great site, I thought I would ask members about my EK2, which while bought as original, I always had some doubts about. I know that a picture speaks a thousand words, but a digital camera is still on my January sale wish list.

The cross is in superb condition, with a 3 part construction and a magnetic core. My doubts were raised as it has a low height swastika and numerals, only a couple of millimeters high and the cross is 45 x 45 mm. The finish to the core is matt and although near perfect, gives the effect of being spray painted. If this was the case, it was to the core prior to assembly, as there is no paint on the silver frame. There is a maker mark on the ring, with a double number either a 2 or 4 as one of them (jewelers eyeglass now required !)

Could there be a chance that this is still an original piece ?

Hi there and welcome to the forum.
    Photos are indeed needed before making any comments. If you have a rough idea of the maker's mark, why not do a search for this number in this forum. You should find photos of most EKs and you will then be able to compare with yours. Good luck!
    PS Do you maybe have access to a scanner?

Comment

Thanks for reply - shall dust off the scanner.

Is Association membership required in order to post pics ?

Thanks

Comment

It sound like it could be a Deschler or a mm24.
        Compare it with a mm1 or mm24 here on the Forum.

Best regards,
        Luud

Comment

Lets see if this has worked ?

IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/mdb2312/EK2.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Thanks for advice so far'

Will have to brush up my photobucket skills. Anyone remember which line you use to insert an image into forum ?

Comment

Hi Martin
              Welcome. You're right to be super-cautious, this forum is the best place to start.
              Can't see your pic though. Why not join us officially, and you'll be able to post pics. Your subscription fee wil be the best few quid you'll ever spend in this hobby
              BTW, I was born in Basildon, ESSEX, do you know it?
              regards
              jon

Comment

Hi Jon

Have become an Association member.

I do actually live in Basildon Essex !!

Can you advise on how to upload photo's ?

Thanks

Comment

Hopefully my scanned cross will now show
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hello Martin,

welcome to the forum. Your cross does look like a 'wide frame' 24 to me. I'll post a pic of the one I used to own for comparison. If you compare the small loop soldered to the frame, they are both quite thick compared to other crosses. Also the swaz on my cross was also set quite low. Can you see if there is an other mark on this small loop? Maybe a 'WR'? This would confirm it as being mm24.

Regards,

Paul.

P1010108 small.JPG

Although........................on second thoughts after posting my picture, I'm not too sure on the 'wide frame'.
                    Last edited by PABLO_Teale; 01-04-2007, 10:09 AM. Reason: Added comment

Comment

Thanks for the reply and picture. My cross does appear wide framed compared to others I have seen, though I cant see a WR on the suspension loop.

Comment

Originally posted by mdb2312 View Post
                        I do actually live in Basildon Essex !!
                        well I never! what a small world
                        regards
                        jon

Comment

Thanks for advice so far'

Will have to brush up my photobucket skills. Anyone remember which line you use to insert an image into forum ?
                          Hi Martin,

To post a photo from Photobucket just copy and paste the second URL under the Photobucket photo to the description page on the forum. It will bring up the image by itself like magic. Just make sure your photos are no larger than 700 X 700.

Hey, you're off to a good start. Your EK is good. Why stop there? Learn, discuss and shop on the forum. This is the safest place to shop. If something looks odd, which occurs from time to time, the advanced members spot it, and place it in the appropriate forum for discussion. What could be safer? Welcome to the forum.

Robert

Comment

Thanks for the reply and picture. My cross does appear wide framed compared to others I have seen, though I cant see a WR on the suspension loop.
                            Martin,

The 'WR' is not always on the suspension loop. There could be a small acorn, or what appears to be an arrow of sorts. I have (3) '24's, and only one of them has the small acorn on it. The other (2) are plain suspension loops. Like one of the other members suggested, go to the Crosses of the Wehrmacht forum and do a search for 'EKII 24' or '24' and there will be ample threads illustrating the wide-flange '24' cross with it's maker mark. You should be able to make a match to yours there. Sometimes the marks (numbers) were struck off-center on the ring, leaving only half of the numbers appearing. Do a search in the Crosses section also under 'list pics'. This was a current thread that one of the members started to cover every maker's cross and it's ring stamp. When you get there do a search for '24'. Here's the link:
                            http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ight=list+pics

Robert

Comment

Hi Robert

Thank you for your reply and the link to the EK2 maker mark thread. There are loads of fantastic examples shown there and the photography is excellent. I never knew there could be such variation and I can see that collecting these medals alone has plenty of scope for an extensive collection.

I am now fired up to dip my toes further into the waters of collecting originals. My favourites being the iron cross and war merit cross. Apart from the more expensive pieces for which i have repros, like the DKiG and DKiS and RK, I shall now consider buying originals.

Thank to all members for their generosity in sharing their knowledge and collections online. I now feel a lot safer in collecting these items with the support of this great resource.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                              X