Cleaning a dirty EK ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning a dirty EK ?

This Ek is just downright dirty. What's the best was of cleaning it properly? My thoughts were to gently brush with a soft toothbrush in warm mildly soapy water. Then blow-dry with the wife's hot air gun. Is this about right?

Robert
    Attached Files

I would not clean since it is gorgeous the way it is! However if you insist on cleaning I will buy it off you the same condition at half-price lol.

Comment

Robert,

Use a neutral ph soap like Ivory and a light touch and you should be fine. You'll clean off the grime and oils without harming the patina or the paint. Maybe try a Q-tip instead of the soft tooth brush for starters. Rinse thoroughly with warm water and be sure to shake out the excess water from under the frame, towel dry and finish with the hairdryer.

Just remember EASY DOES IT.

Tony
      An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Thanks Tony,

Much appreciated. I just want to get the dirt off without scrubbing away the patina or paint, like you said. It should be a very nice '125' once cleaned a bit.

Thanks guys,
        Robert

Comment

Hello,

Well test a section of it first, but you could use 70% rubbing alcohol with a Q-tip.......the alcohol will evaporate quickly unlike water thus preventing any further rusting of the core.

William Kramer
          Please visit my site: https://wehrmacht-militaria.com/

Comment

Originally posted by all1knew View Post
            Hello,

Well test a section of it first, but you could use 70% rubbing alcohol with a Q-tip.......the alcohol will evaporate quickly unlike water thus preventing any further rusting of the core.

William Kramer
            Do you think alcohol would have a negative effect on the old painted surface of the core? Isn't it too 'hot' for the paint?

I'm really thinking of leaving it alone altogether now.

Robert

Comment

Robert,

Well I use 70% vs. 90% and I have never pulled off any of the paint from the core, but just to be safe test a small section first.

William Kramer

Comment

Originally posted by all1knew View Post
                Robert,

Well I use 70% vs. 90% and I have never pulled off any of the paint from the core, but just to be safe test a small section first.

William Kramer
                Alright then.

Thanks,
                Robert

Comment

Robert,
                  I firmly belive tha less is best. Unless you can push it around with a que-tip or toothpic leave it alone.

Chet
                  Zinc stinks!

Comment

Thanks Chet,

Good thought. I think it's just accumulated dirt/dust from years of storage in a dusty area. If it's too stubborn, I'll leave it in the state it's in.

Thank you all, it's very much appreciated.
                    Robert

Comment

Hello Robert
                      Just my two cents worth, but i would not touch it, in my experience anything i have touched i have regreted, no matter little i have done to it. it took me a while to learn this. The only thing i do know is put leather dressing on leather items ,even then only if i think it is really necessary.
                      Regards Greg

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Muller View Post
                        Hello Robert
                        Just my two cents worth, but i would not touch it, in my experience anything i have touched i have regreted, no matter little i have done to it. it took me a while to learn this. The only thing i do know is put leather dressing on leather items ,even then only if i think it is really necessary.
                        Regards Greg
                        Greg,

You and Stephen have the same conviction. I too once fiddled with another TR piece years ago. I just couldn't leave well enough alone. By the time I got done the piece had lost it's 'character', and I knew I had made a big mistake. What you just said really hit home, Greg. Thanks. It stays exactly as it is.

Thanks.

Comment

Hello,

It just depends on what you want to do. Here is my Souval EK_1 that had some "stuff" on it. I used 70% rubbing alcohol on this one to give it an honest cleaning without harm. Hope this helps.

William Kramer

BEFORE:
                          Attached Files

Comment

I used a Q-tip.

AFTER:
                            Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                            X