No announcement yet.

Grand Cross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

....and for who's interested....Kevin hasn't got a Grand Cross yet....but I'm working on it
    Pieter.
    SUUM CUIQUE ...
    sigpic

Comment

Dear Pieter, I wish you all the best for finding such a "Klessheim piece". About the shop windows: Now I unterstand, for what the several Grand Crosses are made for. Does anybody know how many shops have existed during the period? Could it be that nearly every LDO-member had such a "exibition window"?

Comment

Of course I don't know how many, but judging from the evidence in the contemporary publications : a lot!!! Sometimes it's even complained that in small towns two or three are present and that nearly every shop that has to do something with the subject, wants and tries to sell medals. This was a big problem in the early war years.
        B&D PUBLISHING
        Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

Well guys what can i say. That was probably one of the most informative threads i have read . All my questions answered in one hit .
          Maybe Dietrich Maerz , just maybe one day ill find a question that will have you scratching your head....
          Heres hoping eh.

Comment

Hi guys,

This is in relation to Darrell's comment re the VC, the value he stated is way to low, Captain Charles Upham's VC and bar came up for sale in NZ and the family received an offer of $3,000,000 AusD for it, which is approximately $2,400,000 USD. Fortunately, the public uproar over the sale caused the family (his daughters) not to proceed despite the huge sum offered. You could buy a quite a few RKs for that sum.

Regards

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Dietrich Maerz View Post
              As mentioned above, the ring needs to dip into the frame with the Grand Cross.
              Dietrich,

How far does the ring need to dip into the frame? I ran a red line on a photo of the cross. It would seem this one very slightly dips into the frame. In the close shot you can see a little part of the ring below the line.

I suppose I did not make myself clear enough in my original posting. I have never believed that this was Goering's original cross. There is absolutely no reason to think it would be in an old Heidelberg jewelry store. I am aware that there were medals displayed during the war years in shops that sold medals. What I had always thought was that perhaps this one was one that was such a display copy from the time, and, if I have understood what you have said, I think you said that such was possible. Is it correct that L/21 stood for Gebr. Godet & Co., Berlin, and do you know if they made copies of the Grand Cross for displays etc.?

Thanks,
              Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conway View Post
                Hi guys,

This is in relation to Darrell's comment re the VC, the value he stated is way to low, Captain Charles Upham's VC and bar came up for sale in NZ and the family received an offer of $3,000,000 AusD for it, which is approximately $2,400,000 USD. Fortunately, the public uproar over the sale caused the family (his daughters) not to proceed despite the huge sum offered. You could buy a quite a few RKs for that sum.

Regards

Steve
                Hi Steve, with all due respect, that was probably an exception to the rule. I would assume VC groupings would fetch these tidy sums ... however VC's by themselves would not normally go this high. However, we are on the same page with the point we are making

Comment

Ron,

here's another picture of a Grand Cross I had the pleasure to have at 'home' for several days for intense study. As you can see, the ring dips into the frame quite considerably. It can't be mistaken. This example was marked L/12 800 and is an unquestionable example made by Juncker.
                  I have no knowledge of any L/21 Grosskreuze.

Dietrich
                  Attached Files
                  B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

Dietrich,

Is it me, or does that one look to have a Souval frame? Just something I noticed when I looked at it.

Bill
                    Please visit my site: https://wehrmacht-militaria.com/

Comment

Yes, the corners are a little bit like what we know from Souval.
                      Attached Files
                      B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                      X