SandeBoetik

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

to floch or not to floch, that is the question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

to floch or not to floch, that is the question...

Here are some pics of what I always believed was a Floch EK1 copy. Until I read recently that they never have frosting...so I dug it out again to check.

Well, this one does have frosting and I just wanted to confirm it is a fake before I throw out a perfectly good EK1!!

It is marked '15' horizontally on the pin and not 'L15' vertically. The catch has been messed with (by me actually as I assumed a fake). There is no black paint on the inner beading and there is some rusting. The date does sit low but about 2 mm off the beading.

The horizontal lines on the back always threw me and convinced me it's fake, along with the other features found on the Floch fake. However, does anyone have an original '15' marked EK1 that they could post just to compare details?

Thanks

Rich
    Interested in hand-stitched EM/NCO LW insignia and cuff-titles
    Decorations of Germany

Good piece

Dear Rich,

Your cross looks exactly like mine; sorry, unable to deliver pics.

Obverse: a tiny pimple 12o'clock on upper arm; "o" of "9" pushes into the "1" in 1939.

Reverse: exactly same construction with wire hook

This is just to mention the most striking fingerprints.

Mine, cased, came this summer in a big lot formerly belonging to a life long pilot; bomber in WW2. Lot also incl. his cased civilian pilot's badge, his combined PO badge most of the lesser awards, his pre war and post war stuff and some great pics.

If your badge (and consequently mine too) turns out to be a fake, I am selling all my EKs. Actually, in that case all my medals.

Best regards,

Al

Comment

Hello Rich,

I have an original '15' marked EK1.

From memory, your EK1's maker's mark and pin are identical to mine. I cant tell about the catch.

Mine has a non-magnetic core. How about yours?

I will post a photo of my '15' for comparison purposes this evening.

Take care.

Calvin
      -Calvin Hall, repressed Appalachian American.

Desperately seeking a Juncker Knights Cross ribbon loop and well used Knights Cross ribbon!!!

Comment

Rich,

I don't think yours is a Floch piece. It looks OK to me. The Floch pieces use a nickel which has a yellowish tinge to it. The colour of the metal on yours looks just as it should. I'd be happy with it.

Comment

What "horizontal lines" on the back? Up at the top of the pin at the hinge? Mine has lines there... and was obtained cased, mint, (unissued, presumably) in 1969 for $7.50. Identical to yours, I'd say. Some finish has flaked off the pin on mine, but obverse shiny edges and frosted beads are still intact.

Back then, fakes of "common" stuff like this were cast in painted lead. I've never doubted it.

Comment

Obverse
            Attached Files

Comment

Reverse
              Attached Files

Comment

Closeup of the pin at the hinge
                Attached Files

Comment

Rick,

Thats a real beaut you have there !

Comment

Well, whatyaknow! It is a good one after all. Sh1t and I buggered the catch

This one is magnetic and the hinge is exactly the same as well as the lines at the top of the pin.

By the horizontal lines, look closely at the back of the cross, particularly on the left... see those little horizontal lines?

Thanks for the replies,

Rich
                    Interested in hand-stitched EM/NCO LW insignia and cuff-titles
                    Decorations of Germany

Comment

Front

Here is the front of my '15' EK1.

Note that the paint has been removed from the swastika and the date to contrast with the background.

Calvin
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Calvin Hall; 12-30-2002, 05:50 PM.

Desperately seeking a Juncker Knights Cross ribbon loop and well used Knights Cross ribbon!!!

Comment

Back

Here is the reverse.

Calvin
                        Attached Files

Comment

back oblique

reverse oblique view

Calvin
                          Attached Files

Comment

with case

Photo with case.

Calvin
                            Attached Files

Comment

Rich, I have one that, well, I thought original. It looks like yours, right down to the lines, the wire catch, the mark, the pin... well you get the idea. Here is the front;
                              Attached Files
                              Sebastián J. Bianchi

Wehrmacht-Awards.com

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X