is this EK2 a fake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is this EK2 a fake?

this is the first iron cross i have, there is no marking on the ring, the previous owner said he had cleaned it so it appeared so new....
    i am really have no idea about this medal, thanks in advance to any opinion

Last edited by madshark; 12-18-2005, 01:24 AM.

Hello

On first glancing at the pictures I thought that the cross looked ok. I then noticed that on the pictures of the obverse and reverse, in the top right, (12 o clock position, right hand corner), the beading seems to be filled in or coloured with a silver material. That could just be due to the way the photo was taken. But in the first photo you posted the same area is seen side ways on and the beading in the corner referred to above appears to have excess material touching or attached to the core. Are these remnants from the cleaning, (ie dried cleaning agent), or is the beading actually like this ?

Regards
    David

Comment

hi david, thank you for your reply. after reading your post, i spent 5 minites on watching the right hand cornor of the upper arm, it seems there is a shining line appeared beacuse the black paint of core have been ripped off by the silver frame(the core is a bit loose if i shake it)
      but while watching the edge, another thing was brought to my attention, there are continous small spikes on the rim, like on first photo, the part of rim under the ring, you can see some of the spikes, also on the left arm and right arm of the reverse.(i really dont know how to describe it, i will try to upload some more photos)
      the other thing is the paint of core appears amazingly smooth, not like many other EK2 I saw on this site, i can't imagine how could the paint be kept so well after so many years, that is the reason i thought it as a fake when I first open the package. Now what i am trying to do is to find as many realistic pattern than can prove its genuine

Comment

Hello

I like the fact that the core rattles when shaken as this is feature of some of the very early issue crosses. I have never encountered a fake or reproduction with this attribute - although it quite possible other members of the forum have. As for the paint there are two possibilities, 1. the core has been very carefully repainted at some stage or 2. It is one of the crosses with the slightly smooth looking finish. I have attached a picture of one of my EK2 with a decent, original paint finish for comparison. If you search the forum you find plenty of examples with the original paint intact and untouched.

Please post some more pictures though.

Regards
        David
        Attached Files

Comment

i have cycled those part of rims, the line appeared there are actually many small bulges in the sunken/concave part of the rim
          can you understand what i mean? this doesn't seem to be caused by abrasion, they are more likely caused by the die when they were produced, but on genuine EK2 this should not appear, right?
          thanks
          Last edited by madshark; 12-19-2005, 06:38 AM.

Comment

does anyone have any more opinion on this piece? beacuse the seller promised me 7 days money back guarantee and it is close
            many thanks!!

Comment

Hello

I have looked at the pictures and the face on shots of the obverse and reverse look ok. The 'bumps' on the underside of the rims could just be a poorer finish to the cross - but I personally have not seen this before, which of course doesn't mean it can't be found, just that the EKs I have and have seen always had a good finish.

However, there are plenty of good quality EK2s out there so if there is the slightest doubt over the cross pass on it and find another. If you look on any dealers site they will nearly always have some EK2s for sale.

If it was my money, and I had doubts I'd return it and get another.

Have a look at these two sites, (you'll need to register first to gain access), of dealers that I have found to be knowledgeable, honest and reliable, with a fast and efficent service.

www.detlev-niemann.com

www.nordheideversand.de/

Search the forum for these two dealers who are Detlev Niemann and Kai Winkler. They both have a good reputation.

Hope this helps.

Regards
              David

Comment

In my opinion the cross looks fine. Maybe it was repainted, repaired or what so ever but it is a genuine piece.

Comment

thank you for your advises

Comment

Originally posted by Okrach
                    In my opinion the cross looks fine. Maybe it was repainted, repaired or what so ever but it is a genuine piece.
                    I agree with Tomasz.It's sure looks original to me.In fact,the core doesn't look touched up either.Here's a photo of my Steinhauer & Luck EKI which HAS had the core touched up at some point.If you look at the vertical beading on the 9 o'clock arm you will (just about) see the same flaw as yours.Steinhauer & Luck had the same type of die flaw on their Knights Crosses.
                    Last edited by Paolovski; 04-13-2006, 06:14 PM.

Comment

what a pity,i have already sent the medal back to the seller to change for another piece which hasn't been cleaned.

Comment

Originally posted by madshark
                        what a pity,i have already sent the medal back to the seller to change for another piece which hasn't been cleaned.
                        PATIENCE is the key.........

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X