Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S.O.S. How to save EK1?

hi guys

I have a 20 and L/52 double mark EK1, but it is rusting due to the local weather... can you guys tell me how to save it? the rust is eating black enamel....help...

APPRECIATE
    Indy

Buy a vacu-box (i.e. for food storage).

Put WD40 on the places where the rust show up and put it in this box - you can't remove the rust without damaging the cross but You can stop its develeopment

HOW TO ELIMINATE RUST?

Take the air and humidity away and the rust will never show up

BASIC is STAY DRY!!! if Yu can't afford your item a dry environment - create such for it artificially as pointed above.

I hope this will help

Comment

WD 40 is a moisture displacer for sure. It is also a penetrating oil. This means that it may well get underneath the remaining paint and cause it to eventually flake off. Careful here.

There are several ways to keep rust from further damaging your EK. As Tomasz mentioned above keeping it dry is paramount.

Rust can be converted to an inert oxide by boiling it in distilled or other clean water such as rain water. Carefully remove what loose rust you can first , then boil for 10-15 minutes or until the red turns to black. What the boiling does is convert the active redish rust to an inert black oxide. This in effect kills any further rusting. Carefully blot dry and complete the drying with a hairdryer. Apply a good wax to further seal the surface from moisture. Careful, light aplication of artists grade linseed oil will also seal the surface when it hardens. A little goes a long way with the the wax or the linseed oil.

The boiling of red rust to create a black oxide is an proven technique used in the gun trade to 'rust blue' metal gun parts.

Good luck.

Tony
      An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger 1
        WD 40 is a moisture displacer for sure. It is also a penetrating oil. This means that it may well get underneath the remaining paint and cause it to eventually flake off. Careful here.

There are several ways to keep rust from further damaging your EK. As Tomasz mentioned above keeping it dry is paramount.

Rust can be converted to an inert oxide by boiling it in distilled or other clean water such as rain water. Carefully remove what loose rust you can first , then boil for 10-15 minutes or until the red turns to black. What the boiling does is convert the active redish rust to an inert black oxide. This in effect kills any further rusting. Carefully blot dry and complete the drying with a hairdryer. Apply a good wax to further seal the surface from moisture. Careful, light aplication of artists grade linseed oil will also seal the surface when it hardens. A little goes a long way with the the wax or the linseed oil.

The boiling of red rust to create a black oxide is an proven technique used in the gun trade to 'rust blue' metal gun parts.

Good luck.

Tony
        Tony is absolutely correct. This is the best known to me rust removing technique.

Comment

Thanks a lot guys

When I think about..I need to boil it..... It's hard for me to do it.

BEST regards
          Indy

Comment

my poor Zimmermann EK1
            Attached Files

Comment

please show some 'after' pics...
              and I'd love to see the boiling process!
              regards
              jon

Comment

hi Jon

I will.......

kr
                Indy

Comment

Originally posted by Indy
                  my poor Zimmermann EK1
                  Come on, Indy, there is no need to panic it is a nice example of the cross It shows its age and looks GREAT - I thought it would be in a VERY POOR condition - this one is fine

If You Apply the boiling process I would like to see the results though - I owe one EKII that maybe would be needing a little bit boiling

Comment

Lovely cross Indy Personally,i would leave it as it is but perhaps apply a bit of vaseline with a very soft brush to affected area...that's what i've done in the past and it works a treat...

Comment

thanks guys

@Okrach, Just because it is so nice....I would tell you...its back is white or frosty. We will see it again after its operation.

@ Paolovski, I did try to brush it, and to my surprise.....it became worse. The rust area is getting larger, so I want to stop it.

kr
                      Indy

Comment

When boiling it,. don't forget to put a thick piece of cloth on the bottom of the pot (white cotton only!) to prevent the cross of "jumping" at the bottom, or even better, hang it on a rope so it won't touch the sides of the pot.

Good luck!
                        Valter

PS: I agree with Tomasz, it's a very nice cross, I expected something ground dug too!

Comment

hi guys

My EK1 is back. Its health is very good now. Thanks Tony"Tiger I"
                          Let's see it.

kr
                          Indy
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Indy; 12-23-2005, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Indy
                            hi guys

My EK1 is back. Its health is very good now. Thanks Tony
                            Let's see it.

kr
                            Indy
                            Great job Indy!

Comment

not me Robert

"Tiger I" helped me to clean it. He really did a good job.

kr
                              Indy
                              Last edited by Indy; 12-23-2005, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X