HisCol

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Someone knows the were are the medals of Rommel??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone knows the were are the medals of Rommel??

Hi to all i want to know were are the medals of Rommel??

thanks

I believe all of Rommel's medals and decorations are still in the possession of his only son Manfred. Manfred was the mayor of Stuttgart for over 20 years so I don't think he was ever in need of the financial windfall that Rommel's medals surely would have commanded.

It would certainly be nice to see that collection of decorations including his Field Marshall baton.

Regards,

-- Richard

Comment

thank you Richard yes it would be really amaizing see that collection.

Comment

i've always enjoyed seeing manfred rommel on
        various history channel shows.

i suspect he has been an excellent curator of his
        father's awards. i'm not certain whether he has a
        legacy to pass them on to, but i imagine they will
        be "in the family" for quite some time.

joe

Comment

Hi, Rommel's baton along with his medal bar and Oak Leaves, Swords and Diamonds are on display at the Baden-Wurtenberg State Museum in Stuttgart. I visited Stuttgart last year and at the time I do not know they were there but I hope to go back next year and make up for it.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

don't forget your camera!
            regards
            jon

Comment

i think a good part of the awards were buried with him

Comment

Thanks, i surely gonna go in vacation to sttutgart, i really want to see that medals

Comment

Fantastic. Definitely on my vacation "sure to visit" list. Was Rommels' Pour le Merite displayed also?

Regards,

Richard

Originally posted by Adrian Stevenson
                  Hi, Rommel's baton along with his medal bar and Oak Leaves, Swords and Diamonds are on display at the Baden-Wurtenberg State Museum in Stuttgart. I visited Stuttgart last year and at the time I do not know they were there but I hope to go back next year and make up for it.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hi Richard, I was only told of those items I mentioned, so I don't know for sure about anything else being on display.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Stuttgart

Gents,

As of 2 May 2005, Rommel's baton, medal bar, Blue Max, RK w/OL/S/D are all on display at the Baden Wurttenburg state Museum in Stuttgart. I had planned on taking pictures during my visit this time but, cameras are 'verbotten'.

MIKE
                      Attached Files

Comment

WOW I would love to see that someday!!

Comment

i think the imperial museum in london has some of his pieces aswell. shoulder boards etc

Comment

Originally posted by chris clark
                            i think the imperial museum in london has some of his pieces aswell. shoulder boards etc

Our own Bob Hritz has a pair of Rommel's shoulder boards as Oberst that had been liberated from his home by GIs during the war.

One of Rommel's visor hats hung on a nail in the home of a Houston petrolium engineer who had been a GI during the war and obtained it the same way as the aforementioned oberst boards.

There is also a museum at Camp Mabry in Austin, Texas that has a pair of Rommel's boots (donated by Manfred) and - forgive me but I don't recall exactly - but it was either a visor hat or an overcoat of Rommel's that was donated to the museum by a veteran.

Bill Shea has Rommel's parade dress uniform (waffen rock) in the rank of Generalmajor with a tailor tag in the pocket for Oberst Rommel dated 1938 (I think). Also aquired from a GI.

So, for some of us, Austin might be a easier trip than Stuttgart!

Cheers, Bill Huber

Comment

"Liberated from his home". Bill, that's a good one.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X