Full EK1 Recipient List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Full EK1 Recipient List

Feeling a bit jaded at finding an exclusive reference for 1st Class Iron Cross winners, and lacking the airfare and time for a visit to the bundesarchive in Berlin ... (don't we all) , I've enlisted the help of Denis (forum member here) to start up a huge project...to chart as many EK1 winners as we can.

Critiera for listing entries will be:

Surname, Name, Nobility eg. Von. (optional), Rank (when award was received preferably) , Date received, and branch of Wehrmacht.

Basically the same as what would appear on the certificate.
    • Please submit information that you have citied personally (ie. real erkunde or certificates) soldbuch, citation or recognised book/published references, please cite this when you post.
    • I'd prefer not to list sources from engravings, "the previous owner I bought it off" or oral history to maxmise the legitimacy and accuracy of the list.
    • If you are 100% sure you obtained an ek1 from a vet firsthand then that'll be okay, but make sure to state this in your post!
    • If you see a photo of an urkunde but are not 100% sure its genuine, then please state that.
    • (added this for TMurray) If your entry is a spange to the 1914 Ek1 please state so, if enough are obtained we could add a separate column to the "database"

We now have 3100+ winners (mostly due to his efforts!) which we will post on this forum unless there are objections from moderators ...

our plan is to have this thread be for submissions/corrections & discussion and another purely for the list.

What do you all think? can we all get another 270,000 entries together?

BDS
    Last edited by bratwurstdimsum; 09-20-2005, 02:13 AM.

Jeff, not enough to do at work huh?!!!

what about recipients of the 1939 spange to the 1914 EK? are they included? I guess they would be.

rgds Tom

Comment

Originally posted by TMurray
      Jeff, not enough to do at work huh?!!!

what about recipients of the 1939 spange to the 1914 EK? are they included? I guess they would be.

rgds Tom
      Tom,

Good point, and yes I am at work although spanges would not be in that list of 300,000 pure EK1s that previtera cites. I'm open to posts about spanges but that will probably go in a separate list. What do you think Denis?

BDS

Comment

Hello,

i think it would be a good start to count all the DKiG an KC winners first, most of them are well researched.

But i'll post my contributuions for normal EK1 winners later.

Regards

Heinrich

Comment

Sounds like at great idea,not a easy job but worth the effect,
          Can't wait to see the List.

Hope u-crews at ubootwaffe can help, will try to made a list.

Cheers Hubertus.

Comment

Thanks Hubertus and Heinrich, look forward to your list(s).

I'm waiting to get in contact with a moderator (Hello Dietrich!! ) about whether it will be ok having a separate thread that will have only write access by certain people.

I'm thinking to start off, to create 26 separate posts A-Z (by Surname) and editing/adding each one, growing it, as people submit their lists in.

Is their a limit to how big a post can be in lines? For 300,000 recipients, lets say, commonality for an average letter 1/26 = 11,000+ lines

Watch this space anyhow, once I get a moderator to direct me I'll start with the few thousand Denis (mostly!) and I have compiled.

Comment

great idea. as soon as you complete the logistics let us know. id like to add to the list the ones i have the documents for

Comment

Originally posted by bratwurstdimsum
                Thanks Hubertus and Heinrich, look forward to your list(s).

I'm waiting to get in contact with a moderator (Hello Dietrich!! ) about whether it will be ok having a separate thread that will have only write access by certain people.

I'm thinking to start off, to create 26 separate posts A-Z (by Surname) and editing/adding each one, growing it, as people submit their lists in.

Is their a limit to how big a post can be in lines? For 300,000 recipients, lets say, commonality for an average letter 1/26 = 11,000+ lines

Watch this space anyhow, once I get a moderator to direct me I'll start with the few thousand Denis (mostly!) and I have compiled.

Hi Jeff,

everything to preserve the knowledge about the EK's is an undertaking worth doing. So nobody here will stop you or anybody else doing this.

I'm not aware of the mechanics of the forum but doubt that your proposal is feasible, i.e. the limited access and such. I think one should more proceed in the direction Blitz is taking, i.e. everybody writes in and somebody sorts it out in a different format such as Excell or so. Kind like Francois is doing with the project forum. Maybe he has an idea how to proceed?

Dietrich
                B&D PUBLISHING
                Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

Thats an undertaking of a task an and a half, a lifes work !!!

Well here's another one for you then:

Leutnant Gerhard Westphal, Stab 1./G.R. 1128 date on field issue citation, 24 Jan 1945

He won his in the Ardennes offensive, I've most of all his other documents, soldbuch pages etc etc

Good Luck

Marcus

Comment

Jeez, when I saw the title of this thread I thought I was going to click on it and.... read the list!
                    (I'll see what info I have....)
                    George

Comment

Ok:

1) shot off a quick PM to Francois, his projects forum is technical and quite detailed in how to set up one of these things
                      2) did a search on Google for "vbulletin", there appears to be a default 10,000 word limit per post and a timeout for loading a page regardless of connection:
                      There is a timeout value for php (30 or 60 seconds by default) where by which failure to complete a transfer within that limit causes a failure in php.
                      Full link for bored people : http://forum.defcon.org/showthread.php?t=5255

We may have to go down the excel path but it'll be a shame if we can't implement it straight onto the forum text. The other problem with excel is that the file itself could be bigger than the forum will allow in attachable size limits.

Jeff

Comment

U-crews is on Excel, it's great because i just add in names at the bottom of the page.then press data and it puts the names in correct order A-Z.

I just send the Excel list to Howard at ubootwaffe.net, he adds in the search system,has it online in 20 minutes. He's wonderfull with computers.

If you need any help just ask Howard.
                        hjc@ubootwaffe.net

Where all Australians, pretty good work from Oz.

Hubertus.

Comment

Thanks for all your replies, good news...Francois has kindly offered to set up a forum in the 'Projects' section I think. He has already contributed around 50 erkundes to the thread...c'mon, lets see them! I am adding 3 columns to the thread to honour the sources of the entries, ie your name/handle will be on the list! If you don't wish to be listed, please let me know.

Either type up the entry from the source and PM me or email the erkunde direct to :

ooi_jeff@hotmail.com OR

jeffooi@lycos.com

BDS

Comment

Jeff ... I'm sure George would be glad to have all emails sent to him for sorting purposes !!

Seriously ... I wish you the best .. a monumental task to say the least 300,000 names is a workload.

It will be interesting to see it develope

Comment

3260 and counting, please keep submiting your lists, lets make this one of the best forum community projects ever !!!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X