FYI: 1957 Oak Leaves on EBay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FYI: 1957 Oak Leaves on EBay

This looks like a good 1957 Oak Leaves (item # 6548155630) for the Knight's Cross to me. Stamp on back at lower left looks like 925. A little over an hour left with no bids at a pretty good starting bid. I already have a 1957 Oak Leaves just like this that I bought from Detlev or I would likely bid on this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=6548155630

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o></o>

Originally posted by Eric N
    This looks like a good 1957 Oak Leaves (item # 6548155630) for the Knight's Cross to me. Stamp on back at lower left looks like 925. A little over an hour left with no bids at a pretty good starting bid. I already have a 1957 Oak Leaves just like this that I bought from Detlev or I would likely bid on this.

<O></O>
    Maybe, but anyone that says an item is WW2 manufacture, when it is so blatantly NOT .... I'd stay as far away from them as possible

Comment

Originally posted by h009291
      Maybe, but anyone that says an item is WW2 manufacture, when it is so blatantly NOT .... I'd stay as far away from them as possible
      You are probably right. I just thought he might be so ignorant as not to realize he had a 1957 set of Oak Leaves. Anyway, just put it up for information.

Regards to all,

Eric

Comment

You are probably right. I just thought he might be so ignorant as not to realize he had a 1957 set of Oak Leaves. Anyway, just put it up for information.

Regards to all,

Eric
        BUT ... I agree with your strategy

Comment

Seller has relisted the Oak Leaves at a low opening bid, but with a reserve. Kind of interesting to watch these things.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ory=36047&rd=1

Comment

925 is Sterling silver.Sterling silver is the measurement set by the British Crown for the guilds to regulate anything marked "Sterling". The pound of Sterling silver was also the measurement of currency, in Great Britian, for all debts and 925 was the requirement for coinage made of silver.

The Germans worked in 800, 835, 900, 935, 938, 990 silver. I have never seen a German produced decoration marked with 925.

Bob Hritz
            In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Hritz
              925 is Sterling silver.Sterling silver is the measurement set by the British Crown for the guilds to regulate anything marked "Sterling". The pound of Sterling silver was also the measurement of currency, in Great Britian, for all debts and 925 was the requirement for coinage made of silver.

The Germans worked in 800, 835, 900, 935, 938, 990 silver. I have never seen a German produced decoration marked with 925.

Bob Hritz
              Hi Bob,

Yes, I totally agree with you! The Oakleaves being sold are not an original period production piece, but post war (no matter what the seller claims). What he is actually selling is a current production piece of the 1957 "New Form" Oakleaves with a "925" silver mark which is the content code for British Sterling.

Obviously the piece is no where near the quality of original Oakleaves made during the war. Alas, the price to obtain an original example of Oakleaves is way out of reach for me and the 1957 form will have to do for me. If I could just win the Lotto!

Regards,

Eric

Comment

Hello Eric,

I would venture to say the oak leaves in question are not any German made piece, but a piece made in Great Britian. That is why the Sterling content is used, common to the British and USA trade, but not to German makers.

Bob Hritz
                In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

<O></O>

This is an example of how collectors get caught up in for a lack of better wording ......CRAP!

This is NOT a '57 Oaks nor is it German it's a REPRODUCTION made for a collector's market.

I think that after the initial 'reissue' of medals thus maybe 5 years therafter ALL would be considered repros!!!
                  Regards,
                  Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Kane
                    This is an example of how collectors get caught up in for a lack of better wording ......CRAP!

This is NOT a '57 Oaks nor is it German it's a REPRODUCTION made for a collector's market.

I think that after the initial 'reissue' of medals thus maybe 5 years therafter ALL would be considered repros!!!
                    Hi Dave and Bob,

I would like to learn more about this. So, this piece was never made as an actual 1957 replacement, but rather only for collectors and never intended for WW2 recipients of the award. Would this also include oaks with swords with "925" mark and KC's made in the 1970's, 1980's, etc.? I have read that the oakleaves with the "925" mark were the latest 57 replacment issued.

Is S&L the only manufacturer to make replacement awards?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X