Lakesidetrader

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please help me identify/authenticate this badge!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help me identify/authenticate this badge!

Hello Gents,

As I am new to the forum, allow me to introduce myself. My name is Adam J. Haslett, I live in Montreal, Canada. I'm generally a collector of Canadian and British medals, but have always had an interest in German awards as well.

I recently bought some items from an elderly gentleman, included in the lot is a German badge that is not familiar to me. A friend has suggested that this is a badge worn by Russian Cossack Volunteers in the German Forces.

Hopefully the photos will turn out but just in case here is a short description:
    It is a cross pattee - akin to the shape of the Iron Cross, with a shield behind the cross and cross swords. The cross is painted white with a black interior border. At the centre of the cross is a circle and a black swastika.
    The top arm of the cross has the numeral "5" and the bottom "28X" and below this "1941"
    The left arm has "KOHO" and the right "HOB" this is all in black lettering.

The badge appears to be in a white metal alloy of some sort, it does not bend under pressure so I do not think much, if any lead content. The reverse has a makers' mark which reads: "EMIL GRAF" and below "PFORZHEIM". It has a needle type pin attachment.

If anyone can help out I would greatly appreciate any info regarding identification, authenticity and even value!

Many thanks, I look forward to your replies and to participating in future discussions.

Adam

The photos are not working please try to view them at:
    http://www.geocities.com/lieutenant24/cossack.htm

(you may have to paste this directly into your browser address bar)

Thanks!

[ 19 December 2001: Message edited by: Adam ]

Hi Adam
    sorry pictures dont seem to be working and the links are dead as well......

Comment

Hi Dezz,

I put up a link to a page rather than just the files...hopefully you can see them now. If there are still problems, please let me know. Thanks for looking.

Adam

Comment

Looks like a bad reproduction of the Don Cossack Cavalry Regiment Cross.

Comment

Hi Adam,

also check out this link in GD.com about this badge, it gives you further helpful info about this badge and the repros of it.

Cheers, Frank

Don Cossack
          Cheers, Frank

Comment

Frank,

Many thanks for that link...I posted an inquiry/reply on the GD site and it's already getting some replies. Could be a good debate in the works here and I'm keen to hear some more constructive comments/opinions!

Adam

Comment

I know for fact emil graff pforsheim made cossack badges after the war for the cossack survivors as a commemorative of their service. I have one thats in aluminum / painted front , with several buttons to hold the pin still left on the back,(no pin) same maker, but as i said in aluminum. Has anyone ever seen an enameled screwback version.?This one you have shown is different than any i have seen , but i suspect its not a repro, but a comemorative also , and so I suspect an actual badge , but i also suspect Its a a higher grade of aluminum comemorative.Has to be less of them in this configuration. I like regardless? Thanks for showing it . Juoneen

Comment

I know for fact emil graff pforsheim made cossack badges after the war for the cossack survivors as a commemorative of their service. I have one thats in aluminum / painted front , with several buttons to hold the pin still left on the back,(no pin) same maker, but as i said in aluminum. Has anyone ever seen an enameled screwback version.?This one you have shown is different than any i have seen , but i suspect its not a repro, but a comemorative, and so an actual badge , but i suspect a higher grade of comemorative. I like regardless? Thanks for showing it . Juoneen

Comment

Hi , and what you think on this badge ?
                  Jan

046.jpg

048.JPG

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X