Need to ID a Medal ribbon.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to ID a Medal ribbon.......

The light blue with 3 white stripes, before the Romania Anti Communism ribbon....so maybe Romania, Bulgaria...?...can only find reference to one with outer white stripes, no central...???Thanks in advance.

IMG_1501.JPG

Hello,

This must be the Loyal Service Cross (Crucea Serviciul Credincios) with Swords, III class.

Andrew

Comment

Thank you Andrew, however Marcus has identified it (with photos) as Romanian “Aeronautical Virtue Medal'.....2nd Class....am much wiser now, and thanks to all....

Comment

Without seeing the whole bar it is difficult to judge, both awards were worn on the same ribbon. Aeronautical Virtue Order (Virtutea Aeronautica) was instituted in 1930 and awarded ONLY to air personnel, both civilian and military who distinguished themselves in service and contributed to the advancement of aeronautics in times of peace or war.

Comment

Have posted it....since he appears to have been more in Luft support (luft combat 100 badge) and Luft Flak, your determination may make more sense....he wasnt Air operational, no flying badges...??

Comment

Hi gents,

Thought I would repost this as there is a definite difference between the Virtue Order and the Virtue Medals. The Aeronautical Virtue Order (Virtutea Aeronautica) ribbon was not worn with swords.

This is the ribbon bar for the Romanian “Aeronautical Virtue Medal” which was presented to civilian and military air service personnel.....

In 1931 King Carol II established the Aeronautical Virtue medal which was related exclusively to aviation. The medal was instituted by Royal decree No. 463 of February 24, 1931 to be awarded to air personnel in time of peace and time of war in recognition of valor and gallantry in battle. The medal had three classes: 1st, 2nd and 3rd. The circular medal was 33 mm in diameter and had a slightly raised border. The obverse showed the profile of a young woman looking to the right, with her hair flying in the wind and wearing a winged helmet. The reverse shows Romania's coat of arms (model 1921) on the upper portion, flanked on both sides by a small stylized wing. A three quarter wreath of laurel leaves, tied at three places joins the lateral wings of the coat of arms. In the center of the medal the inscription "PENTRV AERONAUTICA, 1931" was written.
            The 35 mm wide ribbon was made of light blue moire with a 5 mm silver stripe in the middle.

On December 19, 1938 the medal was raised to the status of a decoration for bravery and could be awarded with swords which would include the addition of 3 mm wide golden stripes on the edge of the ribbon. The 1938 type was surmounted by two 28 mm crossed swords and a 20 mm royal crown.
            The Order and medal became obsolete in 1947 with the formation of the People's Republic of Romania. The basic design of the pilot badge continued except the Republic's emblem replaced the prior Royal Coat of Arms.

Extract from: (article published by Charles H. Pankey in "The Journal of the Orders and Medals Society of America (November 1997)", Vol 48, No. 9)

Cheers,

marcus

Comment

Here is whole bar...I had posted it on Aug 2nd...

IMG_1502.JPG

Comment

Love this ribbon bar...very nice. I am curious about the anti partisan badge in this grouping. Was it common for luftwaffe personnel to be involved in anti partisan activities?

Marcus.

Comment

Originally posted by mevm36 View Post
                  Love this ribbon bar...very nice. I am curious about the anti partisan badge in this grouping. Was it common for luftwaffe personnel to be involved in anti partisan activities?

Marcus.
                  Good question and it has lead me to another- how does the Heer Close Combat Badge fit in also?

Comment

Luftwaffe ground troops were eligible to receive the Heer close combat clasp from its initial inception. Hermann Goering approved the Luftwaffe Close Combat Clasp in early 1944 however no proof that the physical award was produced or ever awarded exists other than the certificates being awarded. So I think in theory following the logic, perhaps the anti partisan badge could be awarded to luftwaffe ground forces if they were engaged in these activities. I believe I just answered my own question by following the logic!

Marcus

Comment

From what i see, all the decorations point to a ground role, so a "pilots" award makes little sense, i would guess it is another of the many Romanian awards, possibly the Order of the Crown with one of its variant ribbons
                      -Nigel
                      Attached Files
                      sigpic 57ers...."The Devil Is In The Detail"

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel N View Post
                        From what i see, all the decorations point to a ground role, so a "pilots" award makes little sense, i would guess it is another of the many Romanian awards, possibly the Order of the Crown with one of its variant ribbons
                        -Nigel
                        Hi Nigel,

Just for clarification, the medal of aeronautical virtue was issued from 1931-1947 and it was awarded to Non-Commissioned Officers of the Romanian Air Force in recognition of distinguished service. It was also awarded to non-commissioned Axis aviation personnel (including German Luftwaffe personnel) during the Second World War. From 1937-1947, the I Class Medal was awarded with swords during periods of war, and from 1938-1947 it could be awarded with swords on a war ribbon for bravery.

The Order for aeronautical virtue was awarded in the same way as the medal, however was limited to Officers. From 1938-1947 it could be awarded with swords in recognition of wartime merit. The order was also conferred in several grades, being as follows:

Type 1, Military Division Knights Cross (Neck Ribbon)
                        Type 1, Military Division Gold Cross (Ribbon with clasp)
                        Type 1, Military Division Commanders Cross (Neck Ribbon)
                        Type 1, Military Division Officers Cross (ribbon with clasp)

Type II, Military Division Knights Cross (Neck Ribbon)
                        Type II, Military Division Gold Cross (Ribbon with clasp)
                        Type II, Military Division Commanders Cross (Neck Ribbon)
                        Type II, Military Division Officers Cross (Ribbon with clasp)

Military Division Knights Cross (Neck Ribbon)
                        Military Division Grand Officers Cross (Neck Ribbon)
                        Military Division Grand Officers Breast Star
                        Military Division Commanders Cross (Neck Ribbon)
                        Military Division Officers Cross (Ribbon with clasp)

The ribbons for all medals and orders were the same in appearance (with the exception of a clasp instead of swords for the order grade), however again conferral of the order or medal was predicated upon rank. Now there seems to be confusion upon what is deemed as exclusively aviation. In conferral of this order and medal, the term “exclusively aviation” was referral to the “airforce” or “Luftwaffe” exclusively. The Kingdom of Romania had various versions of this order and medal dependant upon the branch of service one belonged to. It was also understood that the “Order” was generally conferred to pilots for their gallantry and meritorious service. As the individuals ribbon bar illustrates that this person acted in a ground role for the Luftwaffe, depending on his rank, he may have been issued the 1st Class medal with swords which would have included the swords on ribbon for bravery or any of the officer orders listed above.

Hope this somewhat clarifies as it is all very confusing.....

Marcus
                        Last edited by mevm36; 08-07-2020, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X