USN good conduct medal questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USN good conduct medal questions

I have a ww2 CPO uniform and one of the ribbons on the ribbon bar is a good conduct medal with 4 stars but the uniform only has 4 service stripes. How is this possible?

Thanks,
    Ethan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by WizKid View Post
    I have a ww2 CPO uniform and one of the ribbons on the ribbon bar is a good conduct medal with 4 stars but the uniform only has 4 service stripes. How is this possible?

Thanks,
    Ethan

Could you post a photo? Are the stripes Federal service stripes or overseas stripes?

Comment

Here it is

Comment

[QUOTE=WizKid;7846078[I]]I have a ww2 CPO uniform and one of the ribbons on the ribbon bar is a good conduct medal with 4 stars but the uniform only has 4 service stripes. How is this possible?

Thanks,
        Ethan
        [/I]

One very possible scenario is that the Chief never got around to upgrading his service stripes on the jacket you have. I have my Dad's Marine uniforms from his long career, and some of them have 4 hash marks, another one or two have 5, which is what he actually rated with 22 years service when he retired.

Steve
        ~ The true test of a democracy is how well it protects the rights of its least popular citizens. ~

~ Never cross swords with an unworthy opponent. ~

Comment

Thanks

Comment

stripes

I may be wrong, but good conduct is every 3 years and service stripes every four years. Spmebody will tell me if I am wrong or not.

Comment

In the Navy you are authorized a service stripe for every fours years you serve. After 12 years of service with no major disciplinary actions on your service record you are entitled to ware gold hash marks. The Navy good conduct is for every three years of duty with no disciplinary actions on your record. My Grandpaw served 20 years active and 10 years active reserve Navy. He only was only awarded three good conduct awards and wore a grip of crimson hash marks.

Comment

Sounds about right.

Thanks,
                Ethan

Comment

Could anyone possibly date the uniform I pictured?

Comment

I think the answer to your question is about as well answered as it's going to get over at the USMF forum where you asked the same question. You're never going to get an exact year for your date.

Steve
                    ~ The true test of a democracy is how well it protects the rights of its least popular citizens. ~

~ Never cross swords with an unworthy opponent. ~

Comment

Just thought I could try this to to get double feedback

Comment

This is he math. 3 years per award x 4 stars + the original award = 15 years good coduct. 4 stripes x 4 years per stripe = 16 years Navy service. Those numbers add up just fine. Multiples of 3 and 4 are not the same except when they are, ie 3x4 =12 and 4x3=12 and so on..
                        Last edited by p-59a; 06-26-2017, 08:17 PM.

Comment

The ribbon bar is post 1950 if that helps.

Could anyone possibly date the uniform I pictured?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X