US ribbon bars and then some

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US ribbon bars and then some

During our raid to San Antonio we found these ribbons that both belonged to the same man. The coin shop manager also had the documents that went with these. We couldn't afford those at that moment plus he already had a buyer for the papers. One doc was signed by President Taft and another by President Wilson! The documents were on a very unusual type of paper material. The manager had a special name for that material. Anyway, here are the ribbons. Anyone know what the last ribbon is?
    Attached Files

That's the Order of the Crown of Italy, Officer grade. Yup. First they gave it to the Germans, then they gave it to the Allies. I got one from a girl when we were in college-- her New York dad did war refugee relief work during the war and got it in '45.

Since the Italians threw out the King in '46, these date 1944-45 to Allies.

Kind of odd to see the same award given to BOTH sides in the war!

Comment

Nice ribbon bars. I am trying to figure which of these awards would have accompanying documents signed by Wilson and Taft since I believe they are all WWII and post WWII (Occupation Medal) awards. Was that dealer tossing you some wolf cookies?
      OMSA #6582

At my age, "getting lucky" is finding my car in the parking lot.

Comment

Probably not award certificates. Since this guy would have been an Army/Army Air Force staff officer type with that combination, he might have had his commission signed (or autopenned) by Wilson.

Dave

Comment

The guys name was Jim. I think one of us may have his card. He showed us the documents and they were indeed signed by those presidents, now I don't think they went with these ribbon bars. Jim also told us that the last ribbon was OBE, Order of the British Empire. Oh the self proclaimed experts out there are something else. Jim had the words expert appraiser under his name. One of us has his business card from Alamo Coin and Stamp Shop.

Regardless of the stories here are some nice ribbon bars showing a serious officers accomplishments. Again, here is proof to not buy the story.

Comment

Hi,

really very nice ones! It is rare to see U.S. ribbon bars with foreign awards and to see the Italian Crown is very interesting.

Best greetings

Daniel

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X