1st Ranger Co (ABN)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st Ranger Co (ABN)

Guys, I was a close Ranger buddy of a three war veteran, SGM Chuck Waters. Chuck served in the Marines in WWII and SF in early SVN/Laos. He was most proud though of being an original member of the 1st Ranger Co (ABN). Chuck amassed a very large collection of airborne, ranger, special forces wings and insignia once he began in collecting in 1965. I am now disposing of the collection but Chuck left to me his KW, especially 1st Co, ranger scrolls. Chuck gathered these scrolls from rangers that attended the RICA reunions over the last 25 years. Excuse this picture of Waters not being in focus. Mike
    Attached Files

An award ceremony for members of 1st RGR Co. The presenter is BG Stewart of 2 ID. The closest Ranger is Dodson and next to him is Davis.
    Attached Files

Comment

1st Co scrolls
      Attached Files

Comment

More scrolls
        Attached Files

Comment

More scrolls. If you like to see closeups of the other company scrolls just let me know and I'll post. Thanks. Mike
          Attached Files

Comment

Great scrolls and photos. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Amazing!! Thanks for posting these pics!! You stated that you were disposing of his collection. Are any of these Ranger scrolls for sale? Is there any Korean War era UNPIK/UNPFK patches or insignia that you will be selling?

Please let me know.

Thanks!

Matt

Comment

None of these scrolls are to sell. The UNPIK/UNPFK insignia have sold. Thanks for asking. Mike

Comment

What an absolutely outstanding and complete collection of the scrolls worn by the Rangers in Korea. All of the companies there were inactivated by Aug 1951, and those serving throughout CONUS and in Germany were gone by Nov.

That it took Chuck 25 years to collect these is an indication at how tough it is. I picked up a 3rd Company scroll late last year after 30 years of searching for one.

These soldiers had an impressive and successful combat record that is second to none in Army history. Following the KW, theire successs led to the Army breaking with tradition and deciding to offer a Ranger School that subsequently led to the VN Ranger companies, 75th IR, and the Rangers which have followed since then.
                  Last edited by tredhed2; 01-03-2013, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Holy smokes!!........mike

Comment

HOurah! For some strange reason, I like this thread! I got to wear the Airborne and Ranger tabs, but never a scroll.

--Guy
                      Class 14-80

Comment

Thanks for the comments. Much appreciated. My Ranger buddy was a great collector of airborne insignia and para wings but he was most proud of his Ranger collection. I have posted a few more pics of his KW scrolls. I believe the two wire embordered are Japan made and the 3rd Co is Vietnam made. Regards, Mike
                        Attached Files

Comment

More KW scrolls from Ranger companies that served in Korea. Mike
                          Attached Files

Comment

I believe you are correct about the 3rd Co being VN made. Although an argument can be made that it is Japanese made, but that style tends to be seen with the early occupation of Japan patches. There is normally some cloth over the back of the embroidery and it is much much thinner thread.

Your 4th Co is an example of a generic US made "Airborne Ranger Inf Co" scroll, w/ "Inf" being picked out and the 4th being added.

Picking out lettering on Ranger patches was not uncommon back then. I have a 2nd Co made out of a WW 2 2nd Ranger Bn that came from the vet.

Comment

David, thanks for the information. Especially on the 4th Co. Regards, Mike

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X