BD Publishing

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brass Aircraft Carrier Model (possibly war-era?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brass Aircraft Carrier Model (possibly war-era?)

Hello! I saw this for sale and it caught my eye. It is a brass aircraft carrier model with a pedestal.

The main problem is that there is no name available for the model, so I don't think it is a ship launching model. However, that leaves it a bit of a mystery to the identity of the ship.

I have a few questions:

-Is this model from the war era?

-What was its purpose?

-What ship do you think it is? I think it looks like the aircraft carrier Hiryu...just from looking at the placement of everything.

Thanks!
    Attached Files

Definitely the Hiryu due to unique design of having the island on the port side. Also the twin exhaust stacks on the starboard.

The choice of biplanes on the flight deck may just be an artifact of what previous models like these had on them up to that point. I have a bunchin model of the Kaga in its original configuration and its only aircraft on the flight deck was a biplane too (unfortunately it was torn off when I got it)

So - early pre-Pacific war, near/just after launch/commissioning maybe? Because there are no markings of any kind are present I'd assume it was probably offered for sale to anyone in general?

Ps - my Kaga bunchin has no markings at all either. Also not designed to fit unto a base plate

Comment

Originally posted by beretta1934 View Post
      Definitely the Hiryu due to unique design of having the island on the port side. Also the twin exhaust stacks on the starboard.

The choice of biplanes on the flight deck may just be an artifact of what previous models like these had on them up to that point. I have a bunchin model of the Kaga in its original configuration and its only aircraft on the flight deck was a biplane too (unfortunately it was torn off when I got it)

So - early pre-Pacific war, near/just after launch/commissioning maybe? Because there are no markings of any kind are present I'd assume it was probably offered for sale to anyone in general?

Ps - my Kaga bunchin has no markings at all either. Also not designed to fit unto a base plate
      Oh! So it is called a bunchin model? Does it look just like your Kaga? What was the purpose of a bunchin model - were they used for training or souvenirs? It looks like it could've gone for "either or" in terms of general look.

How much do you think these things are worth? The person is selling it for the mid-100s USD. I personally think its a wonderful model and will complement my other Hiryu model (a ship launching ink holder), but I also won't want to break the bank with it.

Thanks! If you are able, please post your Kaga bunchin model for comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by leproc View Post
        ... What was the purpose of a bunchin model
        文鎮

Bunchin
        paperweight

Used while writing calligraphy.

-- Guy
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by GHP View Post
          文鎮

Bunchin
          paperweight

Used while writing calligraphy.

-- Guy
          Oh! So this was a paperweight, so possibly as a souvenir. That makes sense! So were they tied to the launching of the ship or during the run-up to the war? I have never seen something like this before.

How much do you think these things should go for in terms of pricing? Are they pretty rare, in your opinion? I'm also wondering if these sorts of models are from the war-era because I've seen some post-war Mutsu paperweights that look similar.

As previously mentioned, this one is being sold, but the price...is a bit steep. I like it, but I'm wondering if the price is fair (mid 100s USD).

Comment

Originally posted by leproc View Post
            Oh! So this was a paperweight , so possibly as a souvenir. That makes sense! So were they tied to the launching of the ship or during the run-up to the war? I have never seen something like this before.

How much do you think these things should go for in terms of pricing? Are they pretty rare, in your opinion? I'm also wondering if these sorts of models are from the war-era because I've seen some post-war Mutsu paperweights that look similar.

As previously mentioned, this one is being sold, but the price...is a bit steep. I like it, but I'm wondering if the price is fair (mid 100s USD).
            The post-war Mutsu items are usually made of recovered metal from the shipwreck itself.

All the Mikasa stuff is highly suspect - they even sell souvenir ships of it the location today!

When I try to post my Kaga photos they don't upload. Odd as I have posted photos 100's on time here before?

I might have to reprocess them but just don't have the time now

Comment

The post-war Mutsu items are usually made of recovered metal from the shipwreck itself.

All the Mikasa stuff is highly suspect - they even sell souvenir ships of it the location today!

When I try to post my Kaga photos they don't upload. Odd as I have posted photos 100's on time here before?

Hmmmm...maybe try and shrink the file?

This is definitely a fascinating piece overall and I'm happy that somebody found another carrier-style paperweight.

Comment

Oh! Just to tag onto a further question about the Kaga, do you have other paperweights that look like this that pertain to a specific ship?

See if you can post the Kaga one, if possible. These definitely look like quality models of very solid and detailed construction.

Thanks!

Comment

Kaga Paperweight Found?!

Hello! I think I found it.

Is it this model? It looks similar, but different. This one looks a bit rougher than the Hiryu model.

I've been searching Japanese websites and I haven't found any paperweight that resembles the Hiryu. It's quite odd.

If anybody can find more information on the Hiryu-looking paperweight, I would definitely appreciate it.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Yep, here's mine with the plane ripped off! The long horizontal exhaust plumes are the best indicator of the Kaga vs the Akagi. These are not brass - made out of a pewter like metal. Also hollow on the inside but filled with some other nonmetallic material to give it more weight

Last edited by beretta1934; 11-20-2019, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Yep, here's mine with the plane ripped off! The long horizontal exhaust plumes are the best indicator of the Kaga vs the Akagi. These are not brass - made out of a pewter like metal. Also hollow on the inside but filled with some other nonmetallic material to give it more weight

Oh! That is interesting, especially with the missing fighter.

I'm still looking on my end. Nothing made of solid brass though except for the typical Takao heavy cruiser model and a handful of destroyers.

Still never have found a brass aircraft carrier model yet...

Comment

Oops, looks like the links don't link.

Tom
                        Last edited by GeorgeP; 11-20-2019, 10:49 PM. Reason: failed links

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeP View Post
                          Oops, looks like the links don't link.

Tom
                          Oh! What were you going to link? Did you find out some info on this Hiryu paperweight?

Comment

Sorry about that. No, no carriers, just a few smaller ship paperweights, including a couple Takao. Looks ike they went from ~$200 to nearly $1,000 at auction depending on ship.

Tom

Comment

Hi,

The price sounds cheap for a mint boxed aircraft carrier period paperwright. I would grab it asap if I was you.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X