Sword ID help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sword ID help

I have a guy who wants to sell his grandfather's bringback. I am not sure what it is as I am not too well versed in the different types. He sent me pictures from his cell phone, so I apologize for their quality, but perhaps you can tell what it is. I was curious about why this had a number on it when it isn't a factory made type sword. Any ideas there? Also, is the leather cover just one that has been place over the steel scabbard, or would it be a wood scabbard? Any help you may give would be much appreciated.
    Dave
    Attached Files

Dave,

It's a sad truth that even WWII G.I.s were sold fakes. It would be helpful to see the tang, by removing the handle (small peg pushes out sideways and handle comes off). But serial numbers on the habaki are standard fare for fakes. The workmanship on the metal fittings is standard faker fare as well, as is the almost squared-off blade tip.

I'd be happy to re-evaluate with pictures of the tang. But from what I'm seeing it's imitation Japanese.

Comment

Definitely a fake w/ the good 'ole "grandpa brought it back" story.

Comment

He did say there were Japanese writing on the tang as he remembers, and that is what baffled me about supposedly hand made, but had numbers stamped on it. I wasn't sure about that. Thank you for your help. I was sure fooled on that one, too. So, they were souveneer types for the soldiers, or RIP the GI's off type of thing?
        Dave

Comment

Fake sword from China.

Comment

Originally posted by gunto View Post
            Fake sword from China.
            Yes

Comment

Originally posted by Bruv View Post
              He did say there were Japanese writing on the tang as he remembers, and that is what baffled me about supposedly hand made, but had numbers stamped on it. I wasn't sure about that. Thank you for your help. I was sure fooled on that one, too. So, they were souveneer types for the soldiers, or RIP the GI's off type of thing?
              Dave
              Dave,
              It's hard to know the motive on each one. There are some sellers on fleaby that actually list their itmes as "(Replica)" , but I feel most of these were made to capitlaize off the popularity of WWII Japanese items, making them cheaply and selling for huge profits. It is the age of problem of greed. Same reason swordsmiths from ages past, to today, fake famous signatures on real Japanese blades - the famous guy's name would make the blade worth more money.

Comment

Thank you all for the great info. I did ask the guy for a picture of the tang writing. I'll post if he sends one.
                Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Bruv View Post
                  Thank you all for the great info. I did ask the guy for a picture of the tang writing. I'll post if he sends one.
                  Dave
                  I wouldn’t waste yours, his, or our time on it. It’s definitely a modern Chinese fake and the signature is going to be gibberish.

Comment

In addition, if he is saying that his Grandfather brought it back, he is wasting your time., as thats simply just impossible. Unless his Grandfather brought it back from China a few years ago.

PG-

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X