Good Luck Flag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Luck Flag

I just pick up 2 Good Luck Flags and the book on Imperial Japanese Good Luck Flags and One-Thousand Stitch Belt ( what a great book)

any help in translation would be great. I believe the top reads

"I Pray Your Military Fortunes Are Long Lasting" which I found in the book
    Attached Files

2 set of pictures

flag
    Attached Files

Comment

3rd set

pictures
      Attached Files

Comment

last picture

Tears in the Run Sun

does anyone know if there is anything you can do to stop the tearing of the silk.

see picture

Thank you for your comments and suggestion.

will post 2nd flag in a day or 2

thanks
        Larry
        Attached Files

Comment

Flags

There is nothing that you can do once the silk begins to tear. The most important thing is to try and lay it flat which will take the pressure off the material. Also, if you must fold it, don't continue to fold it along the same fold lines, that only weakens the fibers and makes it tear more readily. Eventually, the best thing to do will be to have the flag museum mounted which will probably entail sewing it to an acid free backer board. This is just a quick reply, but should help you in your research to properly maintain the flag. Best of luck!

MikeB

Comment

Hi Larry,

Great looking flag and of course you can't go wrong getting that book if you have any interest in Japanese militaria in general and flags in particular.

As Mike mentions it's best to have them flat or sewn but I've found rolling them works too and avoids any further sharp angular bends in the fabric. I roll them around a small (about an inch o/s diameter) cardboard tube and then slide the tube out. You can store quite a few side by side that way in a long drawer or box.

Regards,
            Stu

Comment

Flags

Hi Stu-
              That is great advice; the only other recommendation might be to either get an acid free tube or buy some acid free tissue paper, place the flag flat in between 2 layers of it, and then loosely roll as you suggested.

MikeB

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X