Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Press photo translation

Hi guys

Can you help me out with this please, it deals with Rangoon battle.

Thank you !
    Attached Files
    sigpic

-=Always looking for French cadets infos at Shaw Field South Carolina 1944=-

The title is
    白刃を翳して敵陣へ

"The Drawn Sword Held Over the Enemy Camp" and the lead word you circled is Rangoon.
    • 白刃 "White Blade" translates to "drawn sword" ... but "drawn sword would correctly be 抜刀 "batto". Figuratively "white blade" means fierce and/or hand-to-hand combat.

• is -- according to my dictionaries -- "to hold above" but can also mean to "shadow/cloud, esp. over someone's happiness;" when combined with 射翳 means "a hunter's blind; troops in ambush." If the first two kanji were taken literally -- a white blade -- I think a different verb, furi-kaburi [hold aloft; brandish] would be used: 刀を振りかぶって 'katana wo furikabutte' -- brandishing swords.

• enemy
    • camp

So perhaps in English it might be something like "Fierce Hand-to-Hand Combat Covers Enemy Camp"

The rest is too hard for me to clearly see when expanded. But, I can see that on 1 May they were at Mandaly and specifically mention 「マンダレイの道へ」 "On The Road to Mandaly." And I doubt they were talking about the Bob Hope/Bing Crosby movie.

--Guy

Last edited by GHP; 08-30-2017, 05:39 PM.

Comment

indeed...that s great thank you, it perfectly suits the atmosphere of the photo.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by H.W Plainview View Post
        indeed...that s great thank you, it perfectly suits the atmosphere of the photo.

Are you going to keep us in suspense? Or, are you going to show the photo?

--Guy

Comment

Crowd chanting... "Show us the photo! Show us the photo! Show us the photo!"

Comment

Originally posted by beretta1934 View Post
            Crowd chanting... "Show us the photo! Show us the photo! Show us the photo!"

Comment

haha i was thinking about posting it yes...the translation was too good to keep it for me.

i can't tell you what's the support substance...i have no idea.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by H.W Plainview; 08-31-2017, 03:41 AM.
              sigpic

Comment

Hi,

Glad you like the picture H.W !

This is one of the most breathtaking of the Yomiuri Shimbun Great Asia War serie. This handful of Japanese soldiers remind me our ancestors who fought WW1, you really need to be brave to charge an ennemy in such an open field.

Great items, full body net, sword, googles ...

Cheers,
                Mat.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X