FlandersMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The West Coast Historical Militaria Collectors Show -- how was it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The West Coast Historical Militaria Collectors Show -- how was it?

I don't foresee myself going to this show in the future, but I am curious about it: Was there a lot of good stuff this weekend for those who attended? Is there normally a lot of Japanese material at this show? Any insights greatly appreciated, thanks!

Tom

I attend the show every year and have had a table the last 2. It's a fair sized show and there are some Japanese items. Not a lot, but they are there. Quite a few swords though. I'd say it is well worth the trip if you are within 2 or 3 hours worth of driving.
    I was surprised how many younger collectors (or reenactors) showed up dressed as Japanese soldiers. Most of these were of Asian descent. It was very cool.

Comment

Thank you for your input, I appreciate it.

Here is a link to some pics. of the show, including pics. of (what appear to be) several Japanese soldier reenactors:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...=912723&page=2

Tom

Comment

One table behind the IJA group (love their cosplay) looked loaded with gunto ! Thanks for sharing some pictures. Seems to be a nice show.

Comment

I saw more Japanese at this last show then there has ever been at the show.

Just across from me was Dean B., John E. & Dr Mike. Between those three alone you will see world class items.
          "Militaria shows are a social event for anti-social people"--A.T. 2008

ASMIC Executive President

Comment

The West Coast Collector's Show

For anyone who wants to attend a "no hassle", well organized, and well attended California show, this is one to consider. Check in was fast and easy; and tables were set up with plenty of room to walk in between and around. For those of you who have exhibited at the SOS and others, and wondered why you hadn't brought your own seating (!), this show provided 3 chairs for my single table as well as for my fellow exhibitors. The bathrooms were clean throughout the entire week/weekend that the doors were open. I stayed at the Sheraton Hotel adjacent to the Fairplex. Room rates were reasonable, rooms were very clean, service was friendly, and the breakfast meals that we all get used to sampling were quite good. The walk to the show's front door was about 5-10 minutes.
            As stated, there was some nice Japanese militaria available for sale. In no particular order: I saw a few photo albums, and thousands of loose photographs that were IJA and IJN related. I also spotted a few charm pouches, a senninbari vest, a senninriki vest, a senninbari cap that was very nice, numerous IJA uniforms and gear, including shoes, NLF boots, a navy helmet with markings inside the shell but with army star, a fabulous navy marked pith helmet that was a show stopper, some ordnance, good luck flags, senninbari belts, 2 brass anchor navy helmets, a couple of army helmet covers (one mint), numerous army and navy combat caps, both army and navy binoculars, quite a few holsters for Type 14's, a few rubberized and leather ammo pouches (no rear pouches and I did not see any oilers), a paratrooper "bone sack", a late war 2-piece navy flight suit in the "satiny" material, bayonets and frogs as well as loose leather frogs, some nice awards and medals, and quite a few swords. For those interested in paperwork, I did not see much of that. I also saw a few navy ratings patches that were in fairly nice condition.
            I know that I must have left out some things, but you get the general idea as to what was available. This show is growing and was well attended by both older and younger collectors. There were plenty of out-of-state dealers in attendance as well. In addition, I was impressed by the number of young collectors and re-enactors who spent a lot of time going from table to table. They had terrific questions, were interested in hearing about various past shows, well-known (or infamous!) personalities from the old days, and items displayed or available from times past that are rarely encountered today. Even better, they spent their dollars when they saw something that they wanted. I last attended this show about 5 or 6 six years ago, and I must say that I really enjoyed myself. My hat goes off to Bob Chatt and his Vintage Production team for making this the kind of show that I will come back to.

MikeB

Comment

Thanks for the detailed post, Mike, it is much appreciated!

Tom

Comment

The West Coast Collector's Show

I wish I seen more techo Tom. Nothing exciting there to report on that....

MikeB

Comment

Seems par for the course, Mike. They don't surface all that much, at least the interesting ones. (Not to worry though -- the Great Techo Hunt of 2017 will be kicking off shortly. Hopefully I can drum up one or two interesting specimens this year.) Thanks again.

Tom

Comment

I just returned from my road trip across the beautiful state of California taken after the West Coast Show. I would like to thank Bob Chatt for a well organized show and the hospitality shown to me and my buddy when we visited the Vintage Productions Shop . If you collect Japanese Militaria ( or any other militaria) it would behoof you to make this part of your show circuit as I and others have found some real gems throughout the years. You just can't find everything via the computer. There's a reason I make the flight out to this show and if you get the chance you should too.

Comment

I hope to make it out to the show one day. Any photos of the Navy Pith Helmet and Navy Boots?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X