Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fantastic Japanese album.

Hello,

You can help me translate this wonderful Japanese album.

There are pictures of the years 1910, ww2 and some shots of the early 1950s.

A total of 191 photos.

Thank you all.

I doubt anyone will attempt to translate these for you. I think you have to select a few favorites then ask someone to help. As it is now it takes a long time to scroll through this single post. So someone helping cannot say "the images in post #6 are ......"

I will begin, though, by helping out with the rikishi (sumo wrestler).
    This is a young "Hajima Yama" who entered the Dewanōmi beya ["gym" name] in 1939 at age 17. The "give away" is his name on the apron. I searched "羽島山、相撲" [Hajiyama, sumo] and found this Japanese-language wiki about Hajiyama Masanobu

1958 photo

Your photo was taken at the earliest in May 1942 when he was given this name.

Professional Naming History

Yamanouchi Masanobu: January 1940 location → January 1942 place

Hajimayama Masanobu: May 1942 tournament → November 1944 tournament, November 1946 tournament → May 1948 tournament, May 1949 tournament → May 1959 tournament

Masanobu Hashizumeyama: June 1945 tournament → November 1946 tournament

Gifu Shinko Choshino: October 1948 tournament → January 1949 tournament

image source

Jp.auction site photo
    --Guy

Comment

Fantastic Japanese Album

Love some of the deer photos, probably taken at Nara.

MikeB

Comment

I agree with Guy. Far too much here for a casual translation. If you are really curious about your album, how about paying for a professional translation? Lots of services available.

Comment

Definitely a varied photo album. I am wondering if the family that originally owned this album was from around the area of Hiroshima. I believe the deer and torii photos are Miyajima area, 41st Regiment collar tabs, etc. Photos from all over though, looks like some folks took a trip to an onsen in Hokkaido. Onsen: One of the many gifts that Japan has given to the world.

Tom

Comment

Thanks a lot for your help.

For the translation I will try to inquire.

Do you recognize other personalities of the time or some military regiments?

Some pictures of the ego of June, remind us of the traditional festival: Sannō matsuri with their traditional costumes, and theater.
            Last edited by lokomilo; 04-09-2017, 03:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lokomilo View Post
              Thanks a lot for your help.

For the translation I will try to inquire.

Do you recognize other personalities of the time or some military regiments?

Some pictures of the ego of June, remind us of the traditional festival: Sannō matsuri with their traditional costumes, and theater.
              There are some actor photos that are very similar to what I'v seen from the 1970s [actor/singers who dress as a samurai/ronin] ... but you would have to be verrrrrrry knowledgeable to figure out who they are. Many of today's youth here don't even know what Humphrey Bogart looks like! I imagine it is the same in Japan ... unless one is a movie/kabuki fan.

Cheers,
              --Guy

Comment

On some pictures dated 12 June 1912, 1918, 1919 this reminds us of the traditional festival: Sannō matsuri

With the theater and traditional costume.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 5 users online. 0 members and 5 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                X