Possible Japanese sword

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible Japanese sword

Hey y'all I've recently come into possession of this sword and know nothing about it. Do to the look of it I'm thinking it may be Japanese manufacture, possibly a ceremonial sword but really have no clue. Was wondering if any of y'all could shed some light.

Model 1883 Kyu Gunto Parade/Dress. Good find in excellent condition!

Where in Louisiana are you abouts? I'm actually from Shreveport!

Lev

Comment

Nice sword. Can you give us the leaf count. The number varied by rank and while common terminology does refer to these as naval kyu-gunto they really are not according to Dawson as they were neither the first military or naval swords.

Regards,
      Stu
      Last edited by Stu W; 03-23-2017, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Looks very small like a miniature version.

Comment

Originally posted by Death-Ace View Post

Lev
          Lev,

Dawson also has one he calls a 1890, with the same folded hand-guard, but it has some sort of device on both sides where a cherry blossom would be. How do you tell the difference between the 1883 & the 1890?

Comment

Originally posted by BruceP View Post
            Lev,

Dawson also has one he calls a 1890, with the same folded hand-guard, but it has some sort of device on both sides where a cherry blossom would be. How do you tell the difference between the 1883 & the 1890?
            Hi Bruce,

I'm thinking you are reviewing chapter 20 in Dawson. Correct? If so what photo number or page are you looking at?

Regards,
            Stu

Comment

Originally posted by Stu W View Post
              Hi Bruce,

I'm thinking you are reviewing chapter 20 in Dawson. Correct? If so what photo number or page are you looking at?

Regards,
              Stu
              Stu,

I'm afraid I'm on a work trip all weekend and don't have my books! It will be Monday before I can look it up.

Comment

Originally posted by BruceP View Post
                Stu,

I'm afraid I'm on a work trip all weekend and don't have my books! It will be Monday before I can look it up.
                No worries. I'm not going anywhere. It will give me something to look forward to on Monday!

Regards,
                Stu

Comment

Originally posted by Death-Ace View Post

Lev
                  Cool thank you. I've always wondered about this sword
                  Bye I'm in Lafayette

Comment

I am i Lafayette too.

Jeremy

Comment

9 or 11 leafs on guard dosnt tell rank!

Comment

Hi Thomas,

If you are commenting in relation to my query then I'll clarify that my leaf count question refers to the number on the back strap and while exact rank isn't indicated a group rank level can be determined I believe.

Regards,
                        Stu

Comment

Further to last ... Much in the same way a gunto rank tassel can indicate a group rank level that may have more than one actual rank contained within the group.

Regards,
                          Stu

Comment

Further to last ... Much in the same way a gunto rank tassel can indicate a group rank level that may have more than one actual rank contained within the group.

Regards,
                            Stu
                            To amplify on what Stu correctly writes:

Company Grade Officer = 2d Lieutenant, 1st Lieutenant, Captain [Navy: Ensign, Lieutenant (Junior Grade), Lieutenant].

Field Grade Officer = Major, Lt. Colonel, Colonel [Navy: Lt. Commander, Commander, Captain]

Flag Officer = Brigadier General [Rear Admiral (Lower Half)] and above.
                            Why "flag" officer? Because when they pin on their star, they get a flag with a silver star(s).

--Guy

Comment

Hi Thomas,

If you are commenting in relation to my query then I'll clarify that my leaf count question refers to the number on the back strap and while exact rank isn't indicated a group rank level can be determined I believe.

Regards,
                              Stu
                              What do you mean by "backstrap"

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                              X