NCO ww2 Sword

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NCO ww2 Sword

I found this Katana and I wish if anybody can translate what is on the tang.
    Any help is appreciated.
    Alf.
    Attached Files

Its actually an officers sword. Signed No Shu Seki Ju Yasu (might be shige) Saku. Need larger pictures to be sure Dated Showa 17.

Bill Rannow
    Mpls, MN

Comment

As Bill says, an Officer sword.

In Type 98 mounts.

These are NCO swords here ...

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=495813

Regards,
      Stu

Comment

Originally posted by brannow View Post
        Its actually an officers sword. Signed No Shu Seki Ju Yasu (might be shige) Saku. Need larger pictures to be sure Dated Showa 17.

Bill Rannow
        Mpls, MN
        Originally posted by Stu W View Post
        As Bill says, an Officer sword.

In Type 98 mounts.

These are NCO swords here ...

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=495813

Regards,
        Stu
        Thank you gentlemen, do you think that it original to ww2 ?

As soon as I get the sword I take better pictures and post them.
        Again thank you.
        Alf

Comment

Originally posted by brannow View Post

Bill Rannow
          Mpls, MN
          And by the way the date 17, what it stand for please
          And the blade is differnt from the post that you showed
          thanks
          Alf
          Attached Files
          Last edited by mp409mm; 10-18-2016, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Alf, that's a beautiful gunto! Where'd you get it? Any history on it?

Showa 17 is a dating system that adds up to 1942, and if I'm reading it right, it is March ? 1942. Definitely a war sword, though it looks pristine enough that it doesn't look like it was ever swung at anyone!

The little stamp above the signature is Seki where 70% of the war swords were made.

The all-brown rank tassel is a late-war style used by all Officer ranks, so my quess is that the original was damaged and replaced with this by the owner, or was missing when the G.I. got it and this was added later. All original equipment though.
            Last edited by BruceP; 10-18-2016, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BruceP View Post
              Alf, that's a beautiful gunto! Where'd you get it? Any history on it?

Showa 17 is a dating system that adds up to 1942, and if I'm reading it right, it is March ? 1942. Definitely a war sword, though it looks pristine enough that it doesn't look like it was ever swung at anyone!

The little stamp above the signature is Seki where 70% of the war swords were made.
              Thank you BruceP, as much as I always wanted one of these, these is the first one, bought and I am still waiting to be shipped.
              It is my intention to try and find anything about it with the help of members like you who are willing to share their knowledge.
              As soon as it arrives I will photograph every corner of it and share it for others to comment.
              Alf.

Comment

Thinking about it, all this information from which side of the tang was extracted since both tangs have markings.

And; I bought the sword from a dealer in the Nederlands.With little information except that it is a ww2 Katana. which I hope to expand here on the forum.

Alf

Comment

Fake tassel.

Comment

This side is the date. You can check this site for the way the date breaks down:
                    http://www.japaneseswordindex.com/kanji/nengo.htm

The other side is the smith signature and often the province they worked in.
                    Attached Files

Comment

濃州関住清宣作
                      Nōshū Seki-jū Kiyonobu Saku
                      Made by Kiyonobu, Residing in Seki [City], Nōshū [today it's Gifu Prefecture]

BTW, his first name is Kiyo-nobu

昭和十七年三月
                      Shōwa jū nana-nen san-gatsu
                      March 1943

Here's another by Kiyonobu:

Looks like his civilian name was

長村 松市
                      Osamura Matsu'ichi
                      Source page

Hmmmmmmm .... "Matsu'ichi" could also be pronounced as Shō'ichi ..... dunno.

--Guy
                      Last edited by GHP; 10-18-2016, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gunto View Post
                        Fake tassel.
                        Not a fake tassel ,I was looking at my phone. Sometimes Im little to fast

Comment

Wow...You all amaze me with all this information, it seems that I have a lot to learn and it is going to take time. Thank you very much and I am happy that I think I bought a good sword after all.
                          So is this sword made by hand or machine made?
                          Again thank you for helping me.
                          Alf.

PS why this sword has one ring to hang from while other have two

Comment

Originally posted by gunto View Post
                            Fake tassel.

Do you mean fake as in modern reproduction intended to deceive or simply a modern reproduction?

My understanding is that brown tassels that were originally only used on naval swords (kaigunto) but were more generally used on army officer swords (shingunto) towards the end of the war.

It seems that you are stating that the tassel illustrated is a modern reproduction intended to deceive. I am wondering how you reach this conclusion.

I have 50-60 or so brown tassels that I acquired over the years. I am not at all sure that I could spot a fake from a single somewhat blurred photo. I am wondering what made you come to such a conclusion.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Downey View Post
                              Do you mean fake as in modern reproduction intended to deceive or simply a modern reproduction?

My understanding is that brown tassels that were originally only used on naval swords (kaigunto) but were more generally used on army officer swords (shingunto) towards the end of the war.

It seems that you are stating that the tassel illustrated is a modern reproduction intended to deceive. I am wondering how you reach this conclusion.

I have 50-60 or so brown tassels that I acquired over the years. I am not at all sure that I could spot a fake from a single somewhat blurred photo. I am wondering what made you come to such a conclusion.

Gunto. Please disregard my post. I see that you have now clarified.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X