Japanese items at the MAX.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese items at the MAX.

Did anybody see much Japanese items at the MAX?

Dennis J

That good huh?

Comment

Kind of a bummer, seems like this sub forum has slowed down a bit. Not as active a place as it used to be.

Tom

Comment

Hi Tom,

I've had a browser bug issue and mostly get an 'admin has banned your IP address' message when I try to access this forum. Turned off Java Script on my old iPad which fixed the problem but visiting is still hit and miss. That's my story.

I think losing Nick took some of the shine off, just sayin'.

Best, Rod

Comment

I have had same issues about banning my ip

Comment

Originally posted by gunto View Post
            I have had same issues about banning my ip
            I've had the same experience. I sent an email to Sebastian. I haven't heard back but so far I'm not having issues today.

Frank

Comment

This has been happening to me too over the past couple of days. Quite frustrating.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis J View Post
                Did anybody see much Japanese items at the MAX?

Dennis J
                I didn't get to the MAX but here's my 2 cents as a 50 year collector, on and off, of Japanese items.

I cruise eBay, probably too much, but I think I've seen the prices of WWII Japanese deflating. Helmets hit their peak 7 or 8 years ago and you could get $800-$900 for average helmets w/liners. NCO swords hit their high mark 3 o4 years ago and everyone was asking $750 - $800 for matching units. Even the 1945 Model NCO's with the wood handles started going crazy 3 or 4 years ago, sometimes hitting $600-$700. Uniforms were very rare with jackets selling for at least $150 and up. Pants were impossible to find--Marines just weren't into bringing back dirty old combat pants.

I think international sales, enabled by eBay and lower shipping costs, have been the biggest factor in driving average items down, with the old Japanese warriors passing away and their children not caring for anything military in Japan. It surprised me that Japanese people were selling and shipping their ancestors' miltary badges, medals, and even helmets out of their country.

Swords have been a different "market". I believe that Japan does not allow export or import of military, factory made swords. I am not sure of the laws in Japan about exporting traditional swords but I don't think those swords are being sold outside of Japan, unless they come through China or other countries. Several books about Japanese swords really helped create a larger market for all types on old Japanese swords; everyone wanted what they saw in the books and the U.S. veterans who brought them home were selling them or they were sold as part of their estates. Sword prices have been crazy.

Recently, NCO swords have peaked and maybe dropped. Helmets and gear prices have dropped drastically. You can not get more than $550 for a nice helmet unless they have nets or covers or an unusual feature. In my opinion, Japan has driven down the value of the military gear market. The fake sword makers have also played a part in making people suspicious of buying swords. They have gotten very good at faking the NCO's, but like all people caught up with greed in cheating their fellow man, they had little business sense and made thousands and thousands of these and they are stuck with many of them. I think I know who was manufacturing those fake military swords across the seas, but I will not mention anything to fuel their fires.

Two or three years ago, I bought a stone mint Japanese helmet with an issued net complete with cloth strips of camouflage, and an unissued second pattern cover for $2200. In my opinion, mint items will almost always hold their value, but I believe even nets and covers when you can find them are fetching only lower prices than 5 years ago.

The other day I saw a large commercial militaria merchant putting a $7,400 price on a salty helmet, cover, and net. The set looked great and had been together forever but condition was very bad--torn up liner with blood stains and plenty of "patina". I wish them all the success in the world getting that price, but it may take a looonng time. That's my 2 cents.

Comment

I found the standard of Imperial Japanese Admiral. It is completely hand sewn and just gorgeous. Sadly, the moths have done damage to the white wool.

Bob Hritz
                  Attached Files
                  In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Hritz View Post
                    I found the standard of Imperial Japanese Admiral. It is completely hand sewn and just gorgeous. Sadly, the moths have done damage to the white wool.

Bob Hritz
                    Very nice

Comment

Though I am not a collector of Japanese militaria, I've always admired it. I felt there was a nice selection of it at the MAX this year. Nice helmets in the $450.00 to $650.00 range. I was blown away by the Japanese parachutist display in the back hall. One of coolest things things I saw at the show, just my two cents.

Comment

Originally posted by Reichsword View Post
                        I was blown away by the Japanese parachutist display in the back hall. One of coolest things things I saw at the show, just my two cents.

Do you happen to know who the exhibitor of the Japanese paratrooper display was?

Tom

Comment

Nice looking flag Bob - thanks for posting!

There has certainly been a lack of Max pics compared with previous years, hardly any at all.

Regards

Russ

Comment

Greg Babich had the paratrooper set up

Comment

I think in some cases it is cheaper to buy from Japan if you know where to look.

I buy mostly the nice dress/parade stuff, and there isn't much demand for that.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X