Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gendaito for your perusal

Hi Guys,

This is my latest toy - mounted in '44 shingunto fittings but stripped down for your inspection of the blade.
    Shigetsugu's influence is apparent and those of you familiar with Yasukunito will instantly see the similarity in the way the simple two character mei, centrally placed and date are to the typical shrine swords.

Akihisa gendaito

Born in Meiji 43rd year (1909). Civilian name Yamagami Juji.

Yamagami (Shigetsugu) Akihisa lived in Nishiyama-cho, Niigata province. He worked at the family forge with elder brother Yamagami Munetoshi. During the war years Munetoshi was considered senior but after the war, Akihisa became more known.

In 1934 he became a student of the famous Ikkansai Kasame Shigetsugu, one time head instructor at the Yasukuni Shrine. Later he was a student at Kurihara Akihide's Nihonto Tanrenjo Denshusho, from whom he got his "Aki" mei.

He became a Rikugun Jumei Tosho in 1941. Both he and his brother occasionally used a circular stamp with "matsu" in the centre on some of their swords, as a trade mark, although it is believed that Shigetsugu personally managed the sale of Akihisa blades.

Before WW2 he won Monbu Daijin Sho - Minister of Education Award, Kaigun Daijin Sho - Minister of Navy Award, Rikugun Daijin Sho - Minister of Army Award in the Shinsakuto exhibitions.

In 1941 he was awarded Tokubetsu Meiyo Seki - Special Honour Seat in the Army Gunto Exhibition.

After the war, in 1954, when the prohibition of sword making was eased, he was one of the limited number of smiths who were granted a sword-forging permit from the Japanese Government and continued his career as a swordsmith. He won many more awards such as Doryoku Sho, Nyusen in the annual Shinsakuto Meito Exhibition while teaching numerous young swordsmiths, including his son, Norihisa.

Hawley's reference: AKI44
    Toko Taikan rated ¥1Million.

Akihisa is featured and photographed in Ono (1971) p.174 and again in 1977, p.84.

Signatures: "Yamagami Akihisa", "Akihisa", "Hokuetsu ju Yamagami Chisato Akihisa".

Mostly worked in Itame hada and ko-choji hamon although this sword is based on suguha.

Amendment - sorry, got carried away for a moment - Shigetsugu was not at the Yasukuni shrine, he was head swordsmith at Nihon Tanrensho Denshusho, situated at Akasaka. That being on the estate of Kurihara Hikosaburo (aka Akihide).

Brain and tiny phone keyboard not on the same planet sometimes!

Comment

What is the length of the cutting edge? In centimeters for your UK gents?

Comment

66 cms (26").

Comment

Can you see hada and hamon
          And what colour are the mounts?
          I bought a light brown 44 on Thursday

Comment

Originally posted by nickn View Post
            Can you see hada and hamon
            And what colour are the mounts?
            I bought a light brown 44 on Thursday
            Itame / suguha.
            Dark brown. Even had both the metal mekugi - they're so often missing.
            I'll post a photo of them later.

Comment

Very nice, Kevin! Looking forward to more pics!

Comment

I recently attended a meeting of the UK Token society and the theme of the evening was sword photography. The speaker was some German guy who explained that to take the ultimate photo of a sword requires thousands of euro's worth of camera equipment plus high end photoshop or equivalent software.

I understood what he was saying because my day job is a technical illustrator but what he was suggesting seemed like major overkill to me.

Having said that, how are we supposed to judge a blade via the usual appalling out of focus photos?

Don't get me wrong, Kevin knows what he's talking about and has been tremendous in helping me. That's not the issue here.

The issue is this. How are we to judge the blade from these photos?

Comment

I have original metal mekugi if anyone needs some

Comment

Originally posted by BenVK View Post
                    The issue is this. How are we to judge the blade from these photos?
                    I didn't know you were in the Token Ben. Mind they don't try to steal any decent blades from you or treat you as a cash cow.

Touché buddy. They are rubbish photos. Camera phone and all that. If I had a decent camera I'd sell it and put the money towards another sword.

I don't really post to get my swords "judged" though and if I felt that was ever needed, this would not be my chosen platform.

Anyway, sorry the pictures are poor.

Comment

No judging needed if Kevin says it's gendiato that's what it is

Comment

Absolutely and I hope I made it clear that Kevin knows what he's talking about plus I totally value his help and friendship..

..but, the photos are crap aren't they, (sorry mate! )

Taking photos of swords is difficult but not impossible.These were taken with my Nikon P5000, a very old camera but it has good macro once you learn how to use it. This polish was done by a very well known person in the UK, I don't rate him as being very good at what he does but that's a topic for another day..
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by BenVK; 10-01-2016, 01:00 AM.

Comment

44/Type 3 mounts you say.... This is definitely the earliest dated blade I've seen that was in 44/Type 3 mounts.

Comment

Originally posted by reeder3 View Post
                            44/Type 3 mounts you say.... This is definitely the earliest dated blade I've seen that was in 44/Type 3 mounts.
                            Wow, me too! 1943 is the earliest I've personally seen until now. A 1940 date completely ends the claims that the type 3 was a late war style, and is only, what, 2 years after the production order?

Sorry Kevin! Any mention of a Type 3 immediately generates anew discussion!

Comment

Originally posted by reeder3 View Post
                              I have already been in discussion with Chris Bowen about several aspects of this sword and the early date in relation to the mounts being one of them.
                              Here are the things which raised questions for me...so, why if he was appointed RJT in 1941 (and that's the date on this Bruce, not 40. In fact December 41 - a date which should be burnt into your American brains!) is there no Star stamp? Answer - the RJT didn't start to use the star stamp until later in 1942.

Next, as you point out, why is a blade made in 41 unsold or hanging about all those years before being mounted in 44 mounts? His perfectly rational explanation was that it is a privately purchased blade and it has almost certainly been remounted in the '44 mounts. Then when I examined it closely I can see the top mekugi ana is slightly enlarged and not circular, so does appear to have been slightly realigned. So I think CB was correct. That was the original hole and the lower one was added later and the upper one very slightly enlarged to accommodate the '44 tsuka.

So good observations and enquiring minds.

Anyone notice something else...it is signed tachi mei. My recent posts of my Nagamitsu and Masatsugu gendai are also signed tachi mei too, no one commented at the time. Interesting? I think so. Now what conclusions can we draw, if any?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X