Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Translation help

Hello everyone,
    does this symbol look correctly written? It is supposed to read as " Battle ". From what I can see on the internet, the uppermost portions of the symbol on the left side look off. The strokes that look like little boxes. Maybe its an older style?? Thanks for your input.

PG-
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Paul G; 09-08-2016, 07:18 PM.

I think the word "Battle" is written incorrectly. There are no such 2 slashes for this word.
    Attached Files

Comment

I agree with Mr. Chen.

This is the older kanji for battle or war.

I don't understand the extra strokes.

--Guy

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Looks like there is another way to write the same word. This may be the modern version. Nevertheless, no 2 strokes.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by chen View Post
            Looks like there is another way to write the same word. This may be the modern version. Nevertheless, no 2 strokes.
            Yes -- the modern version used in Japan:

--Guy

Comment

Thanks for your input Chen and Guy. This is the area I was concerned with, I didn't even notice the two extra lines. It was different from the modern writing as you guys have shown and I was not sure if it was an older style of writing. I am trying to authenticate a flag which appears to be a flag with written battle history upon it, but trying to confirm.

PG-
              Attached Files

Comment

I have done some simple translations on the dates, but this is far as I could get. My questions are:
                * Does this look authentic to native readers and writers?
                * Does the content make sense?
                It appears to have all been written in one hand, which does not bother me for this type of flag, as the writer would have been a single person recording events that happened.
                * Any help to further translate and understand this flag would be greatly appreciated.
                Thank you greatly for your help

PG-
                Attached Files

Comment

Looks like he used 2 ways to write 10 ?

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the further info Chen! How does the overall look of the flag feel to you? Authentic?

PG-

Comment

Mr. Chen,

Do the names look Chinese to you? Mostly three kanji; and none of them seem to be a "typical" Japanese name.

Edit: or perhaps "art" names or locations? Such as these two at the very top, "West" and "East :

西猛固
                        東猛固

--Guy
                        Last edited by GHP; 09-09-2016, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul G View Post
                          Thanks for the further info Chen! How does the overall look of the flag feel to you? Authentic?

PG-
                          Paul,
                          I can not say whether the flag is genuine or not as I am not Japanese flag expert. But I will stay away from this flag due to questionable writings as stated.

Comment

Originally posted by GHP View Post
                            Mr. Chen,

Do the names look Chinese to you? Mostly three kanji; and none of them seem to be a "typical" Japanese name.

Edit: or perhaps "art" names or locations? Such as these two at the very top, "West" and "East :

西猛固
                            東猛固

--Guy
                            Guy,
                            Those "sun ray" style writing each ray consists of year, date and place/location name ( including the 2 East/West you mentioned)
                            I have a feeling that those writings on the flag was done by a Chinese instead of Japanese.

Comment

Thanks Guy and Mr.Chen. It seems to be at least an odd flag, possible written by a Chinese person. I believe that some places are possibly names of areas in China, but am not sure. Thanks for all your help and insight!

PG-

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X