• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese print identification

Hello everyone.

I need your help.

You can identify me and bring me this ?

Thank you very much.

Love it! Can't read most of it. Something starting out that "Kendoists were, in Japan from long ago, used military / martial ....."
    撃剣者__日本は昔より武で...

The man in the kendo armor is the "gekken-sha"
    撃剣者
    Gekken-sha
    Gekken is the old name for kendo. Sha means person; "Kendoist"

The man holding the book is identified as

修身学
    shūshin-gaku
    Moral Science

Interesting in that the image elicits the feeling of "bu-bun Ittai" [unity of military and literature]. Also, the image reminds me of the famous general Takeda Shingen deflecting a sword by using his fan:

"...The encounter between two great generals, Takeda Shingen and Uesugi Kenshin in the battle of Kawanakajima that in the 16th century opposed the two provinces Kai and Echigo. Kenshin galloped into the enemy camp, brandishing his sword with both hands above his head while his horse stands. Taken by surprise Shingen raises his war fan to ward off the blow. Around them the battle rages in the night..."

Edit: From what I can make out, the red artist's sign to the right of the kendoist gives the title of this print as:
    當時浮世の戦
    Toji Ukiyo no Sen
    "The War of the Floating/Transient World in Those Days"

These prints are called Ukiyo-e [drawings of the floating world] because they generally depicted the mundane life -- all transient. I wonder if the artist is making a pun of this type of blockprint art -- "ukiyo-e" by describing the early Meiji period as the "transient world," -- an era between literature and militarism????

It looks like the picture says that "Cultural/literary pursuits will deflect the military aspect of modern Japan."

-Guy
    Last edited by GHP; 08-06-2016, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Thank you so much for all the information

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X