Arisaka,bayonets,sword found today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arisaka,bayonets,sword found today

I should start by saying that one of the bayonets and the sword were found FRIDAY,not today.
    In my excitement,I lumped it all together.

Seems I'm on a roll..My bank account is having a hernia.

Can anyone comment on this most recent pile?

The Arisaka has had the mum ground off,unfortunately.

And the REPRODUCTION monopod I already had laying around,but the rifle has the provision for it,so I put it on.

"Sword" I believe to be an Army Officer parade saber..

The blade is NOT rusty nor is it spray painted gold..It's late at night here now,and I am taking the pics in my room..Cannot get good lighting.Has a nice chrome plated blade with a wild "fake" hamon.

The loose bayonet scabbard is a later one,correct?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by GEHRMANN; 11-15-2015, 01:31 AM.

c
    Attached Files

Comment

f
      Attached Files

Comment

r
        Attached Files

Comment

v
          Attached Files

Comment

Very decent haul. The two Kokura bayonets are pretty cool and so is the parade saber. The rifle has its own quirks. It might just be the lighting but the stock looks way too blonde for my taste. It makes me think it was refinished. Also just because the band has a provision for a monopod doesn't mean your rifle had one on it. There were a few series that had the band but no monopod attached. Unless your stock and bayonet lug have some evidence of wear from a monopod then that repro shouldn't be on it. Luckily you do have the aa wings as those are getting harder to find but you're missing the cleaning rod. Is the rifle matching?

Comment

Originally posted by burb1989 View Post
              Very decent haul. The two Kokura bayonets are pretty cool and so is the parade saber. The rifle has its own quirks. It might just be the lighting but the stock looks way too blonde for my taste. It makes me think it was refinished. Also just because the band has a provision for a monopod doesn't mean your rifle had one on it. There were a few series that had the band but no monopod attached. Unless your stock and bayonet lug have some evidence of wear from a monopod then that repro shouldn't be on it. Luckily you do have the aa wings as those are getting harder to find but you're missing the cleaning rod. Is the rifle matching?

I've had several of these over the past few years and never cared about them much.
              Now that I'm actually interested in Japanese items-wish I had all the other stuff I sold off!

Anyway,you may be right about the stock..It's not as blonde as the pictures make it seem,but it definitely has darker spots where refinishing would not be easily accessed (finger grooves,under the sight,etc.)
              Could very well be the case!

The bolt has the same last 3 numbers as the receiver.so that's good-But I haven't had time to tear it down any further yet.

For the price,I'm not complaining,and it looks like it'll be a good shooter-IF I can find any ammo.

Yes,I knew about the monopod thing,just thought I'd throw it on instead of having it on the shelf
              Thank you very much for the input!

Comment

There is an individual who advertises on Gunbroker who hand makes ammunition for Japanese rigles. It is not cheap though.

Comment

Originally posted by GEHRMANN View Post
                  I've had several of these over the past few years and never cared about them much.
                  Now that I'm actually interested in Japanese items-wish I had all the other stuff I sold off!

Anyway,you may be right about the stock..It's not as blonde as the pictures make it seem,but it definitely has darker spots where refinishing would not be easily accessed (finger grooves,under the sight,etc.)
                  Could very well be the case!

The bolt has the same last 3 numbers as the receiver.so that's good-But I haven't had time to tear it down any further yet.

For the price,I'm not complaining,and it looks like it'll be a good shooter-IF I can find any ammo.

Yes,I knew about the monopod thing,just thought I'd throw it on instead of having it on the shelf
                  Thank you very much for the input!
                  No problem. As long as you didn't overpay for them then it's all for the best. For me a matching rifle means more than a mummed rifle since those seem to be as hard to find as a mummed one. Most I come across are mismatched and unless those have something special about them then I usually pass. I did however find a mismatched series 23 kokura rifle a few years ago that even though it was ground there wasn't much disappointment with it. It has the aa wings, has its original cleaning rod, the stock is unmessed with and it has a four digit serial number. However it had a repro monopod that I took off even though the rifle showed some evidence of having one on anyway and it has a ground mum on it as well. To date I have three type 99s and two type 38s, all with either a majority of their original finish or finish has worn off (the older type 38s in particular).

Comment

Originally posted by burb1989 View Post
                    No problem. As long as you didn't overpay for them then it's all for the best. For me a matching rifle means more than a mummed rifle since those seem to be as hard to find as a mummed one. Most I come across are mismatched and unless those have something special about them then I usually pass. I did however find a mismatched series 23 kokura rifle a few years ago that even though it was ground there wasn't much disappointment with it. It has the aa wings, has its original cleaning rod, the stock is unmessed with and it has a four digit serial number. However it had a repro monopod that I took off even though the rifle showed some evidence of having one on anyway and it has a ground mum on it as well. To date I have three type 99s and two type 38s, all with either a majority of their original finish or finish has worn off (the older type 38s in particular).
                    I paid $360 for everything in the pictures.

I'm not sure what the value of the stuff is in the dedicated collector world is,but I was comfortable with the prices I paid.

Found some 7.7 for it,taking it with me on my monthly trip to the mountains next weekend.
                    Thanks for the info!

Comment

$360's not bad for everything. The bayonets would be $50-$75 by themselves and the parade saber is an easy $150 (at least that's what I've seen them end up sell for). The rifle since it might be all matching might be in the $175-$250 range. If the stock was in better shape and it had the cleaning rod it would be worth a little bit more. All in all not a bad haul.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                      X