Gunto Comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ral6014 View Post
    Interesting. What is "Japan Sword Co."? Have they also produced in the wartime period?
    Japan Sword Company is a retail store that sells reproduction and genuine hand forged antique blades. They also sell fittings and samurai armor. I have no information as to their history during the war.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Coleman View Post
      Japan Sword Company is a retail store that sells reproduction and genuine hand forged antique blades. They also sell fittings and samurai armor. I have no information as to their history during the war.
      They exist just today?

Comment

They exist just today?
        http://www.japansword.co.jp/js-e.html

Comment

Thanks. If I someday should visit Tokio, this store will be one of my favour locations for a short visit.
          But one question:
          This Company seems to be very old. For me it could also be possible, that they had sold these odd swords indeed after war to GI´s and other tourists, but the swords themselfs could also come´s from an older (Surplus-) source.
          In Germany it was after the end of war very similar until the 70`s. Many unused items from old stocks were sold by surplus companies for low prices.
          Is there a firm evidence, that these kind of swords were even produced after the war?
          What is your opinion?

Comment

There has been discussion about these blades perhaps being 2nds or not meeting quality standards and as a result having the tangs being crudely scored and snapped off to prevent them from being used/or sold as first quality.Most I have seen have been marked with a Navy anchor and are stainless with black painted bench or assembly numbers on the tang.Another suggestion is it would be easier to mount the blade by snapping off part of the tang than taking the time to fit it to the Tsuka (handle) Just a personal observation,I have come across at least eight of these since the early ninety's here in Bossier city Louisiana. Bossier City is home to Barksdale AFB which was the Strategic Air Command Headquarters and a major Air Force base.

Regards,

Geoff

Comment

Japansword was a member of Suikosha navy officer club if I understand this link:

http://www.japansword.co.jp/military.html

They call Isoroku Yamamoto their "customer"!
              I opened a thread about this shop when I heard of it for the first time ( http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=728631 ). They still produce kyu / kai gunto's and daggers today but using modern material (such as plastic same). Anyway I bet an inexperienced collector could be tricked by their production.

Comment

Established 1906. That´s old. I do not think my ugly gunto was produced as an fake for cheating tourists or GI´s. For this purpose the sword has too much obvious differences compared to an Standard gunto like missing same or the crude koshirae. But this is only my opínion. Who now.... Further evidences would be interesting.

Originally posted by Staldion View Post
                Japansword was a member of Suikosha navy officer club if I understand this link:

http://www.japansword.co.jp/military.html

They call Isoroku Yamamoto their "customer"!
                I opened a thread about this shop when I heard of it for the first time ( http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=728631 ). They still produce kyu / kai gunto's and daggers today but using modern material (such as plastic same). Anyway I bet an inexperienced collector could be tricked by their production.

Comment

Established 1906. That´s old. I do not think my ugly gunto was produced as an fake for cheating tourists or GI´s. For this purpose the sword has too much obvious differences compared to an Standard gunto like missing same or the crude koshirae. But this is only my opínion. Who now.... Further evidences would be interesting.
                  I believe my experience along with identical experiences that I know of are evidence enough that these pieces were postwar assembled. I have been in the establishment and seen modern reproduction military swords, sabers and daggers copying WW2 weapons. They are made without edge as to comply with Japanese law and the blades are aluminum, not steel. A non collector in the early 1950's would have no idea what the genuine article looked like. At that time, real swords were cheap and these assembled pieces were even cheaper.

Comment

I believe my experience along with identical experiences that I know of are evidence enough that these pieces were postwar assembled. I have been in the establishment and seen modern reproduction military swords, sabers and daggers copying WW2 weapons. They are made without edge as to comply with Japanese law and the blades are aluminum, not steel. A non collector in the early 1950's would have no idea what the genuine article looked like. At that time, real swords were cheap and these assembled pieces were even cheaper.
                    I respect your experience, but It´s further hard for me to be convinced of this theory.

Comment

I respect your experience, but It´s further hard for me to be convinced of this theory.
                      Hi
                      " hard for me to be convinced of this theory." Why?
                      Regards
                      Frank

Comment

:
                        Originally posted by Phronsias View Post
                        Hi
                        " hard for me to be convinced of this theory." Why?
                        Regards
                        Frank

Comment

I think the links show they had many spare parts, blades, after the war and new customers in the occupation force, matching M. Coleman's arguments. It's still interesting for what it is. Like the Tojo flags.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                          X