Lakeside Trader - 2nd Banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you clean a Japanese Short Sword?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing rust from a Japanese sword is a totally different game that removing and polishing normal steel items. I would advise very light work on the polished area of the blade. Red rust should be soaked in oil for several days. Only red rust should be removed from the nakago or tang. A dark patina is natural to an older hand forged blade. Your sword appears to have been mounted in a traditional ho-o wood storage mounting that was modified to use in military usage. I have found deer antler to work the best for removing red rust.

Comment

very interesting find. So the wood was covered with cloth and lacquered with the red type they used on the later officers swords ?? That's what it sure looks like.

Comment

Super nice sword, strong koshirae, soft leather, congratulations. If you ever want to let her go I'd be grateful for letting me know.
        Best regards,
        Mathieu.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Coleman View Post
          Removing rust from a Japanese sword is a totally different game that removing and polishing normal steel items. I would advise very light work on the polished area of the blade. Red rust should be soaked in oil for several days. Only red rust should be removed from the nakago or tang. A dark patina is natural to an older hand forged blade. Your sword appears to have been mounted in a traditional ho-o wood storage mounting that was modified to use in military usage. I have found deer antler to work the best for removing red rust.
          Thanks for all the advice on cleaning it. I did clean it somewhat last night with oil and a piece of ivory. I did get a lot of it off without scratching the finish. The tang has some tuff "red rust" that I couldn't remove so I will soak it for a few days. What kind of oil should I use for soaking? I'm not going to attempt to put the handle back on until I can get the "chunky" rust off the tang. I am unfamiliar with the terms used here to describe the sword and hope some members can clarify. Can anybody tell approx. age by blade and Tsuba?

Thanks for the help, Cliff

Comment

Cliff, all will add is if your intent is to sell it then leave it alone. As what you are mentioning might hurt the value not help. Sounds as though a couple here sound interested.. Just saying.

Comment

Originally posted by clestuff View Post
              Thanks for all the advice on cleaning it. I did clean it somewhat last night with oil and a piece of ivory. I did get a lot of it off without scratching the finish. The tang has some tuff "red rust" that I couldn't remove so I will soak it for a few days. What kind of oil should I use for soaking? I'm not going to attempt to put the handle back on until I can get the "chunky" rust off the tang. I am unfamiliar with the terms used here to describe the sword and hope some members can clarify. Can anybody tell approx. age by blade and Tsuba?

Thanks for the help, Cliff
              The age of a blade and tsuba are seldom the same as fittings were changed over the years. As to the age of the blade, it is impossible with an unsigned blade to give an accurate assesment of age without an in hand examination by a person of knowledge. As to the built up rust on the nakago, after soaking for several days in a light weight oil, try pounding the red rust with a brass hammer to loosen some of the rust before boning the steel.. It will likely take numerous repitition of this process. Following each proceedure, use rubbing alchohol to clean off any excess oil and loose rust.

Comment

Place the tang on a piece of wood and tap the chunks of rust with a brass hammer or bar

Comment

Originally posted by MAUSER99 View Post
                  Cliff, all will add is if your intent is to sell it then leave it alone. As what you are mentioning might hurt the value not help. Sounds as though a couple here sound interested.. Just saying.
                  Yah, of course I'm selling it. It ends on e-bay in about an hour 1/2 and only up to $355! Hope it goes higher!

Comment

Perhaps you should have put it on estand
                    No silly eBay/PayPal fees or scammers

Comment

Originally posted by clestuff View Post
                      Yah, of course I'm selling it. It ends on e-bay in about an hour 1/2 and only up to $355! Hope it goes higher!
                      Wish I had known.. Yes it only sold for 355.00 I had it in my watch list and lost track of it.

Always best to offer here at a set price IMHO after its been reviewed .

I don't trust the general public to decide the value of my items as there are just too many variables out there.. Then ebay and paypal get their share.

I find hard to see that you made any $$ if the sword was bought @ auction with any others on hand ? Lesson learned ? Maybe ? I hope.. next time call me.

Comment

Damn
                        I couldn't find it
                        $355 silly price I would have bid $600 possible a bit more if the auction photos were better then the posted ones
                        Has the winner paid??

Comment

Wow,
                          I didn't even noticed it was on ebay! And without a link in half an hour, sorry dude but you missed à least a couple of bids from me!

355$ is a bargain. Glad to hear someone get a sweet deal at least. But Il would agree with Mauser, I wouldn't play with an item I am currently selling because it won't be as described anymore.

Cheers.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                          X