Japanese ess Battle Flag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese ess Battle Flag

Hey guys, just recently aquired a japanese battle flag for the first time. I would like for others opinions though. On a different forum, a member translated it as being presented to Aoki Shigejuurou from the sales department at Chikuma. As I'm not a an association member, If someone is willing to post pictures for me I would appreciate it. Thanks, N
    Last edited by KongoAkagi1944; 09-20-2015, 08:29 AM.

It's rare to have information upon a battle flag. More often it's found on hinomaru no yosegaki also referred to as Good Luck flags. I look forward to seeing a photo.

Regards,
    Stu

Comment

Yes, I meant a good luck flag (what is the difference between a battle flag and a good luck flag though? I know what a good luck flag is) Again if someone is willing to post pictures, I would appreciate it

Comment

Posting the flag for Nathan.

Also, if interested in these flags and others, this is a great book.

Mike is a member here.

http://www.gethistorytoday.com/

Regards

Russ
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by RussellM View Post
          Posting the flag for Nathan.

Also, if interested in these flags and others, this is a great book.

http://www.gethistorytoday.com/

Regards

Russ
          Again, thank you Russ. I appreciate it!

Comment

You're welcome Nathan.

One of the guys will be along to help with the translation.

Regards

Russ

Comment

A battle flag is normally a regimental flag that leads and rallies troops on the battlefield, whereas what you have is more of a personal good luck charm, so they are worlds apart. These flags normally stayed folded inside ones helmet or bread bag in battle, unless one was making a last Banzai charge. The translation you got already is correct. Nothing really to add, but that Chikuma was incorporated in 1916 and now specializes in manufacture of business and school uniforms.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Komiya View Post
                A battle flag is normally a regimental flag that leads and rallies troops on the battlefield, whereas what you have is more of a personal good luck charm, so they are worlds apart. These flags normally stayed folded inside ones helmet or bread bag in battle, unless one was making a last Banzai charge. The translation you got already is correct. Nothing really to add, but that Chikuma was incorporated in 1916 and now specializes in manufacture of business and school uniforms.
                Thanks for your input Nick! Can any of the names be translated and is this flag genuine or fake? Thanks, N

Comment

The flag is in bad shape, but looks authentic. If you want all the names, hire someone to do it. I personally do not see any point in spending time on that. Many are women as expected from the nature of the business.

Comment

The flag is in bad shape, but looks authentic. If you want all the names, hire someone to do it. I personally do not see any point in spending time on that. Many are women as expected from the nature of the business.
                    Thanks Nick, for future reference if I want to hire somebody to translate the names, where can I do that at?

Comment

Yellow pages or google for services close to you. For names, there is no need for historical background.
                      Probably your best bet is to offer a Japanese student a free lunch.

Comment

Yellow pages or google for services close to you. For names, there is no need for historical background.
                        Probably your best bet is to offer a Japanese student a free lunch.
                        Haha, ok I'll keep that in mind

Comment

Originally posted by KongoAkagi1944 View Post
                          Thanks Nick, for future reference if I want to hire somebody to translate the names, where can I do that at?
                          The same Mike mentioned above by Russ offers a translation service but in my view it would not be worth doing in this instance.

Regards,
                          Stu

Comment

Guys, I just recieved it today, and the tear seen in the photo has significantly enlarged to the point where the flag is almost in two pieces. Is there anyway to make sure it doesn't get any worse besides careful and attentive care?

Comment

Originally posted by KongoAkagi1944 View Post
                              Guys, I just recieved it today, and the tear seen in the photo has significantly enlarged to the point where the flag is almost in two pieces. Is there anyway to make sure it doesn't get any worse besides careful and attentive care?
                              Yes, you could consider laying it flat if you plan to display it or rolling it around a tube if you plan to store it. I've seen flags stored flat in cabinets that were originally used to store large marine navigation charts. Perhaps you might find something along that line in a Gov't. surplus store.

However, and please don't take this the wrong way, but these flags are plentiful and very nice examples can be had for 150-250 USD depending upon several factors such as the number of names of well wishers and the variety of slogans found upon them. Yours has seen better days and unless you have a specific reason to want to keep it then to put any money into it would be wasted in my view.

Regards,
                              Stu

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X