• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fake Chinese Sword???

Hi gang,

I have reservations about the sword here

Can you please give me your opinions? Here are my observations:

(1) The Kokura arsenal mark is not -- to my experience -- found on swords but only on bayonets.
    (2) The "ho" syllabary, , also is not found on swords.

(3) The tang does not have file marks.

(4) The hole seems a bit far down.

(5) Although the number 十五 painted on the tang matches the "15" on the tsuba [hand guard], it is written with the tang held in the wrong position -- it is upside-down relative to what I've always seen.

(6) The tsuba seems a bit rough around the cut-out areas. This might be a late-war production, but maybe a fake.

More photos on the posted link; here are two examples:

Many thanks,
    --Guy

Hi Guy,
    I've seen this on gunto before, although it is not very common.

The Kokura logo can also be found on Tsuba's and the hilt end caps as well, the "SUYA" harp logo has also been found on tsuba.

The Kokura Asrenals Tokyo First Factory used "Ho"as it's inspection stamp.

What you have here is an uncommon and rare example. It is not fake from what you have shown in pictures IMHO.
    I have some pics of other examples that i posted on another forum a few years back, i will post them here for you to compare when i find them.

Can you post pictures the rest of the sword, just out of interest.
    I hope this helps you out
    Cheers
    Ern

BTW- i don't think this is late war production, i could be wrong, but more pictures could help

Comment

Sorry, just realised...... there is a link!!!
      Forget the request for more photo's..... i'll go have a look.

Comment

Original early kokura Arsenal made blade.

Comment

Machine made blade by the Tokyo 1st Arsenal during the time of Kokura Administration, in Type 98 mounts. The Poor man's Gunto i would imagine, but it is not a fake IMO.
          I look forward to hearing what the other members think.

Comment

Everybody, many thanks.

In this condition, what is the retail value? The only reason I'm asking is because a relative of mine owns it and wants to know the value.

Again, thank you for your expert and learned opinions. I just learned something again.

--Guy

Comment

I'd put money on that koshirae being original to the period. Shame the menuki have been removed. The blade looks kind of NCO-ish to me. Cool to hear what Ern had to say about it!

Dunno about the value it being a curiosity and all, but all things being equal in the machine made blade world maybe $700 to $900 retail based on condition. Just my opinion.

Rod

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X