Japanese sword translation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Mike,

I see Guy has given you the whole explanation. I hope you realize I wasn't trying to be difficult, just thought you'd enjoy a bit of detective adventure as you dabble your toes in the pond that is Japanese swords.

Regards,
    Stu

Comment

D'oh!

Originally posted by Stu W View Post
      Hi Mike,

I see Guy has given you the whole explanation. I hope you realize I wasn't trying to be difficult, just thought you'd enjoy a bit of detective adventure as you dabble your toes in the pond that is Japanese swords.

Regards,
      Stu

OOPS! Sorry Stu -- I get carried away when I am able to help.

--Guy

Comment

[QUOTE ... OOPS! Sorry Stu -- I get carried away when I am able to help.

--Guy[/QUOTE]

No worries Guy! I understand completely.

Regards,
        Stu
        PS: Mike ... you should still go to the linked web site and read about Showato vs. Gendaito.

Comment

Hello

I'm so glad guy stepped in and gave me a full explanation. Really appreciated that

When you gave me the links Stu you had my best interests at heart and it's the only way I'm going to learn but, correct me if I'm wrong, it requires a bit of thinking. I went on it but it takes a bit deciphering. I'm not used to reading Japanese.

Thanks Guy for taking the time to present the information. Thanks to you Stu. You are always the first to help and offer great advice

To sum up.... Would you call this an honest combat worn surrendered sword? If you look at the leather it has years of honest wear. Did every combat jungle sword have a wood and leather combat cover or was that personal choice of the officer?

Comment

Looks like it to me. It's a non traditionally made (factory made with some hand finishing) WW2 period IJA Officer sword of the Type 98 form. The leather weather/combat cover looks period authentic and I have no reason to think you have anything other than a nice representative example of what is one of the iconic collectibles from the PTO.

Regards,
            Stu
            PS: No, many used the factory issue metal saya (scabbard) rather than a wooden/leather version. Both are correct and were the choice of the owner.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X