Japanese sword translation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese sword translation

I have recently acquired this Japanese WW2 officers sword that came direct from the family. It was surrendered to a British Army Officer at Imphal in 1945. Could someone help me with the translation. I have tried to do it myself but I'm not that clued up. I would be very grateful if someone could appraise this sword for me. It has a leather and wood combat cover and the leather shows signs of genuine long term combat wear.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Pictures

Having problems downloading pictures. Won't be long

Comment

Hi Mike,

When you post the photos please have the kanji oriented vertically (example below) as they are read from the top down. The uppermost kanji is closest to the tip end of the sword. Also include in the image any small stampings that are present around the peg hole.

Regards,
      Stu
      Attached Files

Comment

pictures

Thanks Stu for the advice

Please take a look at the pictures and let me know what you all think
        Attached Files

Comment

sorry

Im sorry about this....I took the photo the way Stu advised and it came out horizontal.
          I never post pictures on here..... if you can't translate I will try and rotate it.

Comment

more

more pictures
            Attached Files

Comment

more

more
              Attached Files

Comment

more

more
                Attached Files

Comment

hi

Sorry....the pictures are not the best but hope you can work off them.

I await your comments.

I know nothing about Japanese Swords. All I have been told is the family had this sword since the war and was captured at Imphal by the 4th/7th Pijpur Regiment and presented a Ghurka officer on the staff of Lt General Blaxland.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

No worries Mike, I'll begin by rotating them for you and will then have a look at the kanji.

Regards,
                    Stu
                    PS: I'm also going to let you do a bit of the detective work yourself. Have a look at this pinned thread. It will tell you about the painted symbols.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=627782

and this web site page (half way down right side) for the stamp and an explanation of it's meaning.

http://www.japaneseswordindex.com/showato.htm
                    Attached Files

Comment

The carved kanji themselves will take a little longer for me and Guy may well drop in and have them done more quickly.

Here's the stamp ...

Regards,
                      Stu
                      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks

Thanks Stu....I really appreciate this. You helped me to obtain my Japanese NCO Sword so I owe you enough favours as it is.

I will try and take a look at these links but it goes right over my head Stu.

The Sword does show honest wear. If Stu and the rest of the panel can give me your expert opinion. I want to know if its a low grade sword or well made. Japanese Swords are a science in itself!

Comment

Hi Mike,

The linked info is basic numbers and symbols. You will see what I mean as soon as you go there. The colored symbols are assembly numbers between 1 and 10 and the stamp is one of half a dozen depicted on the other page. Easy to figure out and fun too ... at least for me.

The large kanji will take a bit of time and I would not expect you to deal with them.

Regards,
                          Stu

Comment

As to the sword ... it's authentic and as soon as you see what that little stamp means on the linked page you will understand the construction method. Again, trust me, it will be an easy read and fun to get an understanding of the basics.

Regards,
                            Stu

Comment

森俊治
                              Mori Toshiharu

[関]
                              Seki-stamp

二〇三五
                              (Parts Assembly No.)

Here's a WAF thread showcasing another Mori Toshiharu blade.

Here's part of an E-Bay description [ended 2013]:
                              ...This particular blade was made by ‘Toshiharu’, whose family name was Mori. He was registered as Seki Kaji smith on the and was one of the approximately 200 Seki based smiths listed in the Seki Tanrensho (directory of Seki swordsmiths). John Slough’s book An Oshigata Book of Modern Japanese Swordsmiths 1868-1945’ lists him as Toshiharu. The shinogi-zukuri shaped blade is marked on the obverse face of the haft (‘nakago’) with the text ‘Seki Ju Mori Toshiharu Saku’ (関住森俊治作), indicating that ‘Mori Toshiharu’ was a swordmaker from Noshu-Seki in Gifu Prefecture, Japan.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X