Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese Tanker Goggles Type number?

Hi,

I have just got hold of a pair of Japanese Tanker goggles, see images. I heard rumours of the existence of this pair a few years ago and finally managed to track them down.

They have seen some use, but are in reasonable condition, strap is slack and linen stained, but I was told the leather has been ‘Vaselined’ a few times over the years which have kept it supple. There is some writing on the strap, which I’ve been told is a number? The box has some wear and distortion, but some writing is still ledgable.

I have been trying to find out the official type/model number for these Tanker Goggles, also the designation of the pre-cats eyes aviation goggles of the same frame shape?

Am I right that the Aviation version was made by Takashimaya and the Tanker version by Yamatatsu Ltd? Were there any other manufactures that are known?

Anyone know the earliest production and cessation dates of both the Aviation version and the Tanker model?

Thanks for any information.

Regards
    Steve
    Attached Files

六四二

--Guy

Comment

Thanks Greg,

Here are images of the box. looks like it was tied up at one time.

regards

Steve
      Attached Files

Comment

Box Label:

戦車眼鏡
        Sensha megane
        Tank Glasses [goggles]

壹 個
        Ikko
        1 Pair

石原眼
        Ishihara Megane-Sho
        Ishihara Glasses Factory
        [although rubbed away here, I'm pretty certain the kanji is correct.]

--Guy

Comment

Guy, thats great. So is 'Ishihara Glasses Factory'
          another manufacturer of this goggle as per-my original question, or is it like 'Triplex' supplying glass to numerous goggle and other laminated glass users?

Comment

Originally posted by Rabaul View Post
            Guy, thats great. So is 'Ishihara Glasses Factory'
            another manufacturer of this goggle as per-my original question, or is it like 'Triplex' supplying glass to numerous goggle and other laminated glass users?
            Sorry -- I'm not a collector or historian. All I can do (sometimes) is read kanji.

--Guy

Comment

The tank goggles never had any type number since being introduced first on December 8th 1930. The designation on the box was the official designation.
              Specs called for 2.5mm thick clear glass. There would have been various manufacturers, not just one.
              I have to question the authenticity of the glass in your example, which is tinted and not complying to specs. Nor is it matching other tank goggles made by Ishihara. Here is my mint example with the correct glass.
              Attached Files

Comment

You mean mine having a darker tint?

Comment

Originally posted by GHP View Post
                  Box Label:
                  <...>
                  石原眼
                  Ishihara Megane-Sho
                  Ishihara Glasses Factory
                  [although rubbed away here, I'm pretty certain the kanji is correct.]
                  Okay, from looking at Nick's box label I see that missed-identified the last three kanji. It should be:
                  石原製作所
                  Ishihara Seisaku-Sho
                  Ishihara Factory/Plant/Works

Comment

I did find this image for a pair up for sale. These seem to have been tinted, but the provinance is not stated.

Mine purportedly came from a patrol box kept in a plantation house west of Rabaul, an old local guy told me about them a few years ago, he said they were japanese flying goggles, there were some medical phials with them. I’ll send images of the phials tomorrow.

It did take him 2-3 years to bring them to me!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Mine also seem to have closer weave cloth than yours?

Comment

There were no Japanese tanker goggles with tinted glass. Glass must be untinted clear flat glass, which was a safety glass of two panes glued together employing a vinyl acetate glue. This glue is notorious for absorbing moisture, so the rim of the safety glass required to be sealed with moisture sealing paint. However, the seal typically did not last and mould and clouding occurred with most examples as seen in the one you show with a helmet. A lot of collectors thus ended up replacing the glass.

Comment

Hello all here are a few pics of the pair I picked up at the last Show of Shows for reference.Unfortunately I was not lucky enough to get the box with them.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X