No announcement yet.

Japanese flag with writing. What was this flag for. Thanks ed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there any way to find out what happened to original owner or a date when the flag was given. Also want to thank everyone for all the information so far. Thanks again ed

Comment

Originally posted by Staldion View Post
      I think the mistake might came from the judeo-christian understanding of the translation of Ki Buun Chōkyū: "Prayer for Everlasting Fortune in War". You often find temple seal fairly often to add to the confusion. There are mixed feelings on Hinomaru Yosegaki.

Senninbari worth more the nickname of prayer belt IMO.
      Same as calling a Xmas card a Prayer Card, because they Wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Comment

Japanese Flag....

Stu-
        Thank you for the very nice recommendation of my book.

bnd173d-
        It's difficult to impossible to trace the former Japanese owner of your flag. There seems to be a new push, however, among some to convince flag owners to return the flags to Japan. Even these "organizations" (some found in the U.S.), that claim to assist in the process admit that it is virtually impossible to do so without the name of the flag's owner, hometown, date, and the location/ date of where the flag was acquired (location of battle and date of recovery). One organization states that they have a 25% successful return rate, although they don't specify that all have been returned to family. In fact, they state that some flags are returned "to the proper authorities". That does make me scratch my head and wonder where the other 75% of the flags wind up. I think if someone feels that they want to send a flag back to Japan, then they should do so, however. From personal experience, I recall seeing an NHK special documentary that showed returned flags gathering dust in a cardboard box in a metal wall locker inside a government official's office. Nice flag by the way....

MikeB

Regards,

MikeB

Comment

Just trying to find out any history of the flag thanks for your reply mike. Thanks ed

Comment

Japanese flag

bnd173d-
            You are welcome. The lengthy reply was more of an "info. travelogue" based upon a fairly recent exchange/close encounter with an organization that doesn't seem to appreciate collectors, especially ones that collect good luck flags.

MikeB

Comment

I total understand mike. Also thanks for all the responses from every one. This has been very informative for me. Thanks again ed

Comment

Originally posted by MikeB View Post
                Stu-
                Thank you for the very nice recommendation of my book.

bnd173d-
                It's difficult to impossible to trace the former Japanese owner of your flag. There seems to be a new push, however, among some to convince flag owners to return the flags to Japan. Even these "organizations" (some found in the U.S.), that claim to assist in the process admit that it is virtually impossible to do so without the name of the flag's owner, hometown, date, and the location/ date of where the flag was acquired (location of battle and date of recovery). One organization states that they have a 25% successful return rate, although they don't specify that all have been returned to family. In fact, they state that some flags are returned "to the proper authorities". That does make me scratch my head and wonder where the other 75% of the flags wind up. I think if someone feels that they want to send a flag back to Japan, then they should do so, however. From personal experience, I recall seeing an NHK special documentary that showed returned flags gathering dust in a cardboard box in a metal wall locker inside a government official's office. Nice flag by the way....

MikeB

Regards,

MikeB
                Some years ago I had a blood stained flag I wished to return. I contacted Japan's Embassy in Los Angeles and sent them photo's. Within a few weeks they notified me they had located the next of kin. I had stipulated in advance I would only part with the flag if next of kin were found. I sent the flag to the Embassy and they sent it to the family. A few weeks after that the family sent me a letter thanking me for the return and told me about their mom's brother who was KIA and never recovered.

Comment

Originally posted by p-59a View Post
                  Some years ago I had a blood stained flag I wished to return. I contacted Japan's Embassy in Los Angeles and sent them photo's. Within a few weeks they notified me they had located the next of kin. I had stipulated in advance I would only part with the flag if next of kin were found. I sent the flag to the Embassy and they sent it to the family. A few weeks after that the family sent me a letter thanking me for the return and told me about their mom's brother who was KIA and never recovered.
                  That's a great ending!

The only thing I've done that was similar was returning to Germany a leather hand-tooled cigarette case with a coat of arms of the gifter and an inscription to the recipient: "In memory of our high times at University. 1880" The case fullfilled two interests I have: leatherwork and heraldry. I was able to contact a German heraldry group who was able to identified the current family and provide me with a mailing address. I returned the case and the current head of the family, a retired judge, thanked me profusely. Their estate, silver, and everything (even photos) was lost when Prussia ceded lands to Poland and the Eastern Zone. He said that cigarette case was the only thing that connected his family to his grandfather and their past. It turned out that the case was given by the grandfather to a friend in college. Reunited after 120 years!

--Guy

Comment

Originally posted by ghp View Post
                    that's a great ending!

The only thing i've done that was similar was returning to germany a leather hand-tooled cigarette case with a coat of arms of the gifter and an inscription to the recipient: "in memory of our high times at university. 1880" the case fullfilled two interests i have: Leatherwork and heraldry. I was able to contact a german heraldry group who was able to identified the current family and provide me with a mailing address. I returned the case and the current head of the family, a retired judge, thanked me profusely. Their estate, silver, and everything (even photos) was lost when prussia ceded lands to poland and the eastern zone. He said that cigarette case was the only thing that connected his family to his grandfather and their past. It turned out that the case was given by the grandfather to a friend in college. Reunited after 120 years!

--guy
                    wow!

Comment

Very nice. I'd own that one

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X