Japanese Navy Secretary Flag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese Navy Secretary Flag

Hi guys...I wanted to know what you thought of this flag. It is the only photo I have. Any ideas on rarity or value?

Thanks much.
    Attached Files

Scarce flag but not in best condition

Comment

Here, the official specs for the flag from the order signed by the Emperor on 7th October, 1889
      Attached Files

Comment

zig-zag lines ???

Originally posted by Nick Komiya View Post
        Here, the official specs for the flag from the order
        signed by the Emperor on 7th October, 1889
        Hello Nick:
        Nice "official specs" drawing reference.
        Is there a Japanese Heraldry name for the
        zig-zag lines? I've seen these lines used on
        battalion flags too, & wondered about them.

OFW
        Attached Files
        sigpic
        .......^^^ .................... some of my collection ...................... ^^^...

Comment

That design feature is called 山形(Yamagata), meaning mountain shape. It has a long history in Japan, appearing on famous Samurai clothing in the early 17 Century and also appearing on the flag of the Shinsengumi, who were like the Shogun's Storm Troopers during the death throes of the Edo era. It has been used on army flags to denote transport troops at least as early as 1874. The navy also used it to denote transport duty, but the navy version was a double wave line as seen in the Navy Minister's flag.   

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the information. There is a guy I know who is selling one but like everything else these days I think he wants way too much for it. There are some pretty big holes in that thing!

Does anyone have an opinion on potential value?

Thank you!

Comment

thanks !!!

That design feature is called 山形(Yamagata), meaning mountain shape.
              It has a long history in Japan, appearing on famous Samurai clothing in
              the early 17 Century and also appearing on the flag of the Shinsengumi,
              who were like the Shogun's Storm Troopers during the death throes of the
              Edo era. It has been used on army flags to denote transport troops at least
              as early as 1874. The navy also used it to denote transport duty, but the navy
              version was a double wave line as seen in the Navy Minister's flag.   
              Very interesting, thanks.
              OFW
              sigpic
              .......^^^ .................... some of my collection ...................... ^^^...

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Craig View Post
                ...Does anyone have an opinion on potential value?
                Thank you!
                TCP:
                From 2008 WAF t=309782 ...
                "cabinet member flags"...

"These normally sell in the $100.00-$175.00 range"...
                OFW
                (below) As cited t=309782 thread post #6.
                sigpic

Comment

Here is the Shinsengumi flag
                  Attached Files

Comment

Again thanks ...

Here is the Shinsengumi flag
                    Nick:
                    Thanks for posting the nice "Shinsengumi" flag graphic.
                    I'll look for a "Last Samurai" movie version for my collection.

OFW
                    (below) Screen shot from "Last Samurai", I already
                    have a couple of these used in the film as shown.
                    Attached Files
                    sigpic

Comment

The photo posted by oldflagswanted denotes the 1st Battalion as explained here
                      Attached Files

Comment

Navy ministry I recently picked up
                        Attached Files

Comment

I guess the service academies also used the "Yamagata" flag. Here's a 盃 sakazuki from the Rikugun Toyama Gakko -- the Army school of infantry tactics, physical education, and military music:

Here's another Army Toyama Academy sakazuki showing a flag with an academy 10-point star below the zig-zag. [This one is not mine]

Found another sakazuki image in my files; I lost the bid on this one for the Toyama Gakko Teaching Staff:

By the way, as far as I'm aware, all service academies used the 10-point star. I recently saw a 歩兵学校 Rikugun Hohei Gakkō [Army Infantry Academy] sakazuki with the star:

--Guy
                          Last edited by GHP; 07-29-2015, 11:32 PM. Reason: Added Third Sake Cup; 4th Cup

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X