Japanese Snow Camo Helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dear all, I usually collect German militaria. Yet I just come across this nice helmet. Would like your kind comments. I understand that if it is real, it will be very rare. Thanks in advance.

interesting helmet
    Last edited by zts; 09-18-2014, 09:38 AM.

Comment

I like it. Very nice. I have similar example. PM me if you ever decide to trade or sell.

Comment

Where would these have been used against Americans besides the Aleutians?
        I see OP is from China, I can see that it would have been used there also. I'd love to have one of these.....

Comment

Originally posted by keith View Post
          Where would these have been used against Americans besides the Aleutians?....
          Perhaps in Sakhalin/Karafuto? My father-in-law was assigned to both the Aleutians and Sakhalin. He said Sakhalin was very cold and snowy and they had to clip in to guidelines at times when going from building to building (or was it position to position?). Unfortunately, I do not know the dates he was on Karafuto.

I guess coming from Hokkaido and being an active mountain-skiier, the army naturally sent him on cold-area deployments. (^__^)

--Guy

Comment

correct.. ever hear of the Korean war ?? Mighty cold there... snow as well.

Comment

I have one very similar. This is a fine example. Do own it? I would grab it as it is very rare if you don't.

The Aleutians or perhaps the Kuriles would be my guess, although I am unsure if Americans made it to the latter. Korea or China seem quite likely places as well.

I have two IJA lids from Attu and both are chocolate brown, not white.

Comment

Here is a link to my helmet. The crooked star is imbedded in the white paint which tells me that the liner was probably taken out when it was painted and then popped back in with the star upside down. We see that occasionally with IJA lids.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=628613

Here is a picture if Japanese ski troops in the Kuriles. Their helmets are clearly painted white.

There were also Japanese snipers at higher elevations on Attu wearing snow camo according to reports, so their helmets may have been white as well.

t

Comment

Eric Doody also has a similar helmet with a black star that was shown earlier on this forum. So does Jareth, I believe?

Comment

David, fantastic example! I really like the way this one looks .

Best, David.

Comment

I see you are in Hong Kong. Where was this one found? China?

Comment

Dear all, i was not fast enough to pull the trigger and so, this helmet just slipped out from my pocket. Anyway, I found it in the UK. Yes, nice helmet!

Comment

Too bad. It's very nice and rare! I hope whoever bought it is a member and will share it with us.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                          X