Blade Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blade Opinions

Hello all,I've had this blade for awhile and finally got a decent enough camera to try and get some photos.I would like some opinions as far as if it would be deemed worth submitting for Shinsa It came from a yard sale in broken old Shirasaya and was in pretty sad condition.For what I paid for it and the several bayonets and a beater Wakizashi after selling the rest, I decided to have it polished at the recommendation of a friend.Any comments appreciated.I never realized how difficult it was to get photos of blades till now! Thanks,Geoff
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

'
      Attached Files

Comment

`
        Attached Files

Comment

-
          Attached Files

Comment

\
            Attached Files

Comment

May I ask who did the polish?

Comment

Acid polish that's a shame if I remember rightly they might not send it for Shinsa and I think the acid doesn't stop eating at the blade .

looks like it's had the Nakago cleaned as well. is the sword more strait than curved? if so it might be A Shinto blade (1648-1852)

Comment

acid doesnt keep eating into a blade or any other metal once applied
                  simple chemistry
                  if it did ,as the japanese use acid to check for the hamon, all swords would have rotted away!
                  nice hada but the blade has quite a few kizu which is a shame

Comment

You are correct Nick, quite a bit of Kizu.My main goal of the polish was to have a
                    study piece that would cover a wide variety of traits both good and bad so I could begin to educate myself on hand forged blades. I think with what the polisher had to start with he did a really Great job.
                    Here are a few pics of the work in progress. Thanks,Geoff
                    Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Geoff, please let us know the name of the polisher. I can assure you I have no intention starting a witch hunt but it sure looks like an acid polish. I hope some of the more experienced members will slap me and say Ayasugi Hada but somehow i doubt it. These things are very important for the community to know.

Kind Regards
                        Daniel

Comment

It's just a heavy hadori polish

Comment

polish is very good.

Comment

Nice hada
                              Do you have any before photos?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                              X