No announcement yet.

WWII Japanese Officer Swords

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree that sword #1 is likely a post war Chinese copy for the reasons cited by several colleagues.
    As to sword #2, a photo of the nakago would certainly help. It does appear to be a post war put together but is different in some aspects from the stainless ones sold through Japan Sword Company post war. It does lack the quality found on war time fittings. I am familiar with parts swords sold by retailers in Japan through the Korean War era. However, I have never heard of swords being sold in a U S Military PX. If true, I would be interested in hearing some documented proof of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Coleman View Post
      I agree that sword #1 is likely a post war Chinese copy for the reasons cited by several colleagues.
      As to sword #2, a photo of the nakago would certainly help. It does appear to be a post war put together but is different in some aspects from the stainless ones sold through Japan Sword Company post war. It does lack the quality found on war time fittings. I am familiar with parts swords sold by retailers in Japan through the Korean War era. However, I have never heard of swords being sold in a U S Military PX. If true, I would be interested in hearing some documented proof of that.
      Years ago I had a post war parts sword that I got from a US service person who told me he bought it at a PX store on a American base. It is also common knowledge among fellow collectors in my area about the history of these swords. They typically come with a bright black wood scabbard with a singe ring. The blades are stainless with a foul anchor on the tang. I believe the blades are extra surplus and are legit. And the rest of the sword looks like the one pictured here having a iron tsuba and a single washer on each side.
      Last edited by lugernut; 09-01-2014, 12:16 PM.

Comment

I have seen several of the Japan sword company pieces Bob mentioned and even purchased one from the son of a vet who thought it was picked up on the battlefield. Having run across several of this type The ones I have seen all had similar traits The stainless blade with anchor, Miss-matched original fittings (combination of Army and Navy) Army fittings Navy menuki etc. Crudely shortened tangs almost like scored with a grinder and broken off in a vice and black bench numbers and kanji on the tang. All had the glossy black saya and single Ashi.

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Ward View Post
          I have seen several of the Japan sword company pieces Bob mentioned and even purchased one from the son of a vet who thought it was picked up on the battlefield. Having run across several of this type The ones I have seen all had similar traits The stainless blade with anchor, Miss-matched original fittings (combination of Army and Navy) Army fittings Navy menuki etc. Crudely shortened tangs almost like scored with a grinder and broken off in a vice and black bench numbers and kanji on the tang. All had the glossy black saya and single Ashi.
          An excellent description of these swords. They also always were sold with an unlined brown sword bag with orange tassles.
          I have always wondered the reason for the crudely snapped off nakago jiri. Possibly done during the war as the blades were rejected for issue?

Comment

That's a good point Bob! I never thought about that possibility. I just figured it would be faster than re-shaping the tang. I would imagine just like the German dagger parts assembled from leftover wartime stock the Japanese could sell or trade them to G.I.s for money or food etc. until they were confiscated or destroyed. I'm sure there was no shortage of soldiers who "Took it from the Japanese Officer I Killed"

Comment

So we still need to see a photo of the #2 sword nakago.

Gene, can you provide one for us?

Regards,
              Stu

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X