Flag Translation Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flag Translation Help

Probably not a "flag" per se but maybe personal item of some sort? Measures 11 inches wide and around 32 inches in length. Just got this from the family of a 5th Air Force veteran along with two meat ball flags and his US uniforms. Looks like it may have been longer and cut down at some point. Thanks in advance for your help,

Brian
    Attached Files

Maybe it is part of a patriotic off to war banner?
    Attached Files

Comment

handkerchief,Chinese characters is "died to win“

Comment

Hand towel given out by a Lt Gen Okamoto with his motto "Victory through Death", and dated 1943.
        In the army, there were as many as five Lt. Gen.s named Okamoto, but my guess would be Kiyotomi Okamoto, as he was made Lt. Gen in '43, and he must have made the towel to thank those who congratulated him on that occasion with gifts, etc. Towels like these were often used as return gifts.
        He was assigned the post of military attache at the Japanese Legation in Bern, Switzerland in March 1944, but suffered a stroke on new years day 45, which left him half paralyzed. Despite his handicap , he stubbornly refused to hand over his position to his replacement and continued to serve. In June 1945, he initiated an attempt for peace through Allen Dulles of the OSS, but this ended in vain and he shot himself at his home in Zurich on 15th August.

These long cotton hand towels are common on this forum, so perhaps it's handy to know the correct Japanese term for them. They are called Tenugui, Te as in hand and nugui from the verb nuguu, to wipe. So literally a hand wiper.
        Last edited by Nick Komiya; 08-28-2014, 04:44 AM. Reason: Tenugui explanation added

Comment

Here's something about him direct from the CIA https://www.cia.gov/library/center-f...3a06p_0001.htm

Comment

PS
            Sorry, just realized that the date on the Tenugui (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenugui) says Spring 43, and he only became Lt. Gen in Oct., so the promotion celebration tenugui scenario does not work anymore, which also gives the other Okamotos a chance. But wait, he was born on 19th Jan 1894, so Spring of 1943 meant he had just hit the big number age of 50 then. Westerners would say that I'm wrong, he was only 49, but the pre-war generation did not reckon people's ages as we do now, as you can read here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Asian_age_reckoning
            Although, the Japanese traditionally celebrate longevity only from the age of 61(followed by 70, 77, 80, 88, 90 and 100) 50 must have rung a loud enough bell for him. But this is still speculation. If you want to positively pin him down, you need to compare his Kao, the special single character Japanese signature with what is attributed to him. Here's about Kao  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ka%C5%8D

Comment

After checking the careers of the other four Lt. Gen. Okamotos, I could eliminate 3 as being too old in 43. If not Kiyotomi Okamoto, the only other possibility is Yasuyuki Okamoto. He made Lt. Gen on April 1, 1942, but he was only commander of the 51st Replacement Div. in Japan and he got a real division to command on Feb 28th, 1943, which was the 36th Div in China at the time, but soon to be sent to New Guinea. So in Spring of 43, he would have been raring to leave Japan and go to a real war and as such had good reason to pledge "Victory through Death" and give out the tenugui as a good bye present. He ended the war commanding the 10th Division. Comparing the 2 profiles, I now think the possibility of the the latter being your Okamoto is greater.
              Even the landscape depicted on the towel now looks distinctly Chinese, though such mountains are more of a feature of Southern China rather than the North, where he was about to depart to.
              Last edited by Nick Komiya; 08-28-2014, 05:03 PM.

Comment

As usual, great research Nick. This made for a very informative thread for me to read. Thanks!

Comment

Yes, it certainly is a rare case that one can weave a cohesive research story out of asian age reckoning, Kao, Tenugui and the CIA.

Comment

A great insight , thank you Nick .

Comment

Thanks, it's good to know that at least some thought my efforts worthwhile.

Comment

I'll add my thanks too Nick. Always informative and a pleasure to read through your contributions and that link to the CIA library will likely make for some further interesting reading.

Regards,
                        Stu

Comment

I agree, My thanks to you as well Nick. This shows how much of an understanding of the Japanese culture and customs of the period is required to bring these items to life, to make them talk. It goes way beyond simple translations, and its always a pleasure to see

PG-

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Komiya View Post
                            Thanks, it's good to know that at least some thought my efforts worthwhile.
                            Too often people read a thread like this and give no thought to the amount of research and knowledge is required for an accurate response. For many years, Nick has been a cornerstone of this forum and thanks and thoughts of appreciation are long overdue. Thank you again for all you have done.

Comment

I have proposed Lifetime Membership for Nick on several previous occasions. Hopefully it will one day come to pass.

Perhaps our MOD(S) can revisit this issue with the powers-that-be.

Regards,
                              Stu

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                              X