Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Draft/enlistment cards?

Afternoon gentlemen,
    Just received this today in the mail. A reserve soldiers pay book and some certificates, that were in the rear of the book. From what I am led to believe, they are draft/enlistment certificates.
    Can anyone shed some light, if I am correct or not? Have searched the forum for this type of book, but have yet to come across any similar.

Thank you.

Maybe called up in 1941(Showa 16)?

Front

Back

That man was a mechanical engineer working for Hitachi's plant in Kameari, Tokyo. The first card shows he completed the training course for becoming a first replacement reserve in 1941 , and the second card confirms he had been registered as such as of Sept 5th 1941. His work must have helped him from getting drafted.

Comment

Many thanks Nick.

I take it the 'first replacement reserve' was like he was 2nd class, fit for active service if needed but didn't quite make the cut for 1st class 'call up'?

Was I right to assume this book was a reserve book? (I dont know the correct Japanese term for this sorry.)

This man must have counted his lucky stars for being involved in an 'essential service'.

You couldn't possibly tell me his name by any chance please Nick?

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

Kannichi Oshida was his name. There were 6 reserve classes in Japan and the first replacement reserve were those who were found fit for active duty but simply didn't get drafted yet. He would have been in that status for 17 years and 4 months, during which time he could have been called up any time.

Comment

Thank you Nick.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X