Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a name

Hi
    Can anyone read the name of this person.
    Many thanks
    andy
    Attached Files

Gee. It looks like T. Yunomi. But I cannot find anyone named Yunomi. There is a 融実 Yunomi as a place name. Also 湯呑み Yunomi for a particular type of teacup.

The script says:
    Prof. T. Yunomi [sp?]
    On the staff of the Emperor of Japan Expeditionary Army in Siberia from Sep 1918 -- Feb 1919.

--Guy

Comment

Large image file of a lithograph showing Japanese occupying Vragaeschensk.

--Guy

Comment

Or maybe a transcription error by someone not familiar with Japanese. I was thinking it might be Inoue 井上...

Comment

Originally posted by imperialjapan View Post
          Or maybe a transcription error by someone not familiar with Japanese. I was thinking it might be Inoue 井上...
          I thought of that and tried "I". In this case, though, his method of writing "I/J" differs from his "Y". I toyed with the idea it might be "E" because there is an older German method of writing "E" that doesn't look like an "E" to Englishters unless you're used to it. But this one really looks like "Y" to me.

I hope we can figure out who this-here feller is.

Cheers!
          --Guy

Comment

AAARRRRgggghhhhhh!!!!! How about FUNAMI?

--Guy

Comment

I need a German speaker to correct my translation. I'm used to "staff" translating to "Stab" in German. When I look up "stabe" I get the translation "character."

COULD the writer be saying, "Here's a photo of Professor Funami when in character during the Siberian intervention, 1918"?

That the writer calls him Prof. instead of Oberst leads me to think that "Funami" was since retired and teaching at a Viennese institution in 1923. The Germans and Austrians have very strict protocols regarding prenominals and I don't think the writer would get it mixed up. [I work with someone whose correct prenominal title is too much for me remember: Herr Dr. rer. nat. habil. Firstnamemann Lastnamemann.]

--Guy

Comment

Staff is Stab..like General Staff, in German : "Generalstab".

Comment

Originally posted by MikeNZ View Post
                  Staff is Stab..like General Staff, in German : "Generalstab".
                  Thanks for the confirmation; now, what about "stabe" as it is written on the back of the photo? Does it mean "staff" or "character"????

Thanks!
                  --Guy

Comment

Stabe means Staff, yes. A very complicated explanation is here, scroll down to dative

http://www.nthuleen.com/102/hausaufg...nomakkdat.html

Comment

I also think it is Inoue, as transcribed by an Austrian. "Prof. T. Inoue in the staff of the Imperial Japanese Expeditionary Army in Siberia from Sept 1918 to Feb. 1919. In Nov. 1923 in Vienna"
                      is what it says.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Komiya View Post
                        I also think it is Inoue, as transcribed by an Austrian. "Prof. T. Inoue in the staff of the Imperial Japanese Expeditionary Army in Siberia from Sept 1918 to Feb. 1919. In Nov. 1923 in Vienna"
                        is what it says.
                        Thanks Nick and MikeNZ.

--Guy

Comment

Many thanks to all who replied.
                          Had this sitting around for ages and was always curious about the name-it is not in my collecting field and came to me with a lot of German photos.
                          thanks again
                          andy

Comment

What kind of uniform is that?
                            It doesn't look like the regular Type45 Officer uniforms they wore to Siberia-- maybe he's gunzoku or something.

(please ignore the Chinese fellow on the left)

Edit: I'm pretty sure it's gunzoku now what with these reg pictures for Gunzoku from 1912
                            http://kindai.ndl.go.jp/view/jpegOut...&outputScale=1
                            http://kindai.ndl.go.jp/view/jpegOut...&outputScale=1

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X