No announcement yet.

Japanese flag Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh by the way, he says there is a temple stamp on it in orange ink. I cannot see it in the photo..though.

Charlie

Comment

Originally posted by cerick1450 View Post
      The dealer that has it felt that it was Japanese. He thought it was the type of flag that would be tied to a rifle??
      So if I understand correctly, you think this is a US vet made item to bring home from the Pacific as a souvenir..

Charlie

Hello Charlie,

That's not a rifle or bayonet flag in my view.

These Japanese national flags were made in the millions and available to anyone who wanted to purchase them. Many are home made. Not exclusively a military item. Looks to me like a person unfamiliar with kanji doctored it up. Perhaps a serviceman? We'll never know but it is without value in my opinion. You can get much better SEABEE made fakes (which have become somewhat collectible) if that is your wish.

Regards,
      Stu

Comment

Originally posted by cerick1450 View Post
        Oh by the way, he says there is a temple stamp on it in orange ink. I cannot see it in the photo..though.

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

There could well be a stamp (hanko) of some sort on the flag. They were commonly used for marking all sorts of items. Search the term "hanko" on the Internet and see the images.

Regards,
        Stu

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X