Japanese katana question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bob Coleman View Post
    I must agree somewhat with the seller. With an old blade, I was taught to form an opinion on the blade as to era, shape, school and maker before ever looking at the mei. If something did not match up with the signature, even without a reference, I would immediately question the legitimacy of the signature.
    When it comes to machine made factory swords, for me, the signature is meaningless as in most cases, it is that of an unknown individual. I have a model 1944 sword with machine made blade that I picked up a few years ago at an estate auction. I have never removed the tsuka as the mekugi is under the ito and whatever was written on the nakago would not have any significance to me.
    What you are saying sounds correct ,,there are a lot of old fine blades out there without MEI...but wouldnt a good swordsmith be proud to carve his name on his product?? What about swordsmiths like Nagamitsu for example? his swords are considered true gendaito ...

Comment

Don't get too hung up on signed/unsigned as an indicator of pride in workmanship or quality. Or even genuine/phony signatures. The Japanese thought process just doesn't work that way.

Comment

Hey guys (concerning the first post here) is this one a "Koa Isshin Mantetsu" or just marked "Mantetsu?" from what I've read just the "Mantetsu" marked ones are probably later than the others with the patriotic slogan.

Thanks

Dennis

Comment

Originally posted by Stu W View Post
          Going to flip this one before working on the translation.

Regards,
          Stu
          安本兼澄

Yasumoto Kanezumi [???]

EDIT: Okay, this is for the second sword (I wasn't aware there were two swords in one thread -- a good reason not to do it!). This is the maker's name on the sword with the brown leather combat cover.

--Guy
          Last edited by GHP; 02-04-2014, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Military Trader View Post
            Hey guys (concerning the first post here) is this one a "Koa Isshin Mantetsu" or just marked "Mantetsu?" from what I've read just the "Mantetsu" marked ones are probably later than the others with the patriotic slogan.

Thanks

Dennis
            興亜一心 満鐵作之
            Ko-A Isshi Mantetsu Tsukuru Kore
            Asia Revived Made of Manchurian Steel

昭和辛巳 春
            Shōwa Kanoto Me Haru
            Showa 16 [1941], Spring

--Guy

Comment

Thanks Guy
              Last edited by Military Trader; 02-04-2014, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Military Trader View Post
                Thanks Guy
                Glad to help. I notice that I shortened the translation of 興亜一心 "Ko-A Isshin" to just the first two kanji. It should be "Asian Development - One Spirit" [or "The Unity of Asian Development"]

Just for fun:
                亜 - A. Asia
                Shin/kokoro. Heart, mind, spirit; or a combination of all three.
                悪 - akuma. Evil, wickedness.

Notice that Evil is composed of 亜 +
                Asian Heart/Mind = Evil

--Guy

Comment

I got two answers for the one request Can't beat that.

Thanks again for your expertise and timely answers.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X