No announcement yet.

Translation Help with Japanese Naval Pilot Items

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry to bring this up again but I hope this photo can help decipher the last two Kanji in hopes of Identifying the unit or ship this pilot belong to. The top Kanji is definately the Kanji for "Dragon". Thanks all for the help
    Attached Files

Comment

龍攻操 is what is written, but that is an abbreviation, so the mystery is not quite solved.

Comment

Probably 攻操 stands for 攻撃機操縦員 (attack aircraft pilot).
        I'm just guessing, but he may be a pilot of Ryuho's B6N Tenzan(天山艦攻).

Regards,
        Haruki

Comment

Nick, thank you for figuring out what the last two Kanji was

Haruki, thank you for assisting in what the abbreviation might stand for. It definately makes sense to me.

龍 Dragon (Aircraft Carrier)

攻操 Abbreviation for Attack Aircraft? (B6N Tenzan or Jill)

The Ryuho was the only carrier with the "Dragon" in her name during the Battle of the Philippine Sea 19-20 June 1944. The Vet indicated on the note that pilot was picked up out of the sea 20 miles from Guam on 2 July 1944. I would guess that pilot was in the water for two weeks prior to being found from being downed during the battle. Would love hear anyones elses thoughts. Thanks to all who helped translate the tag, its truly appreciated

Regards, David.

Comment

Nice piece but, I wouldn't have touched a 2 week old corpse with a stick let alone get close enough to cut that off lol good CSI now you are retired work maybe you ca get on with Miami Dade lol

Nick , Scot and Haruki and great work
            Last edited by NLF; 05-09-2012, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NLF View Post
              Nice piece but, I wouldn't have touched a 2 week old corpse with a stick let alone get close enough to cut that off lol good CSI now you are retired work maybe you ca get on with Miami Dade lol

Nick , Scot and Haruki and great work

LOL...yes retire young and do stuff like this...its a win, win for me

Comment

I didn't read the begining and forgot to add papa in the last post so Papa great translation.

Comment

Yes just as NLF mentioned...thanks to all that helped me with this. To me this is what these forums are all about.

Regards, David.

Comment

The pre invasion bombardment did not start till mid July 1944 i think. This man could have ended up operating off of Guam itself? Maybe sent there or forced down there stranded for a time? Carrier could have pulled out and left w/o him. This has been a good item to look, think, and talk about for a change.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                    X