Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hinomaru Yosegaki Short Translation

Gentlemen,

Having trouble with these Kanji, I thought I cobbled the translation together, but it's not working out....
    Attached Files

I'm having trouble with the handwriting myself, but it does remind me of one of my flags http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=491525 which was signed by a general. Appears to be the owner's name in big kanji, then rank and name of the person who presented it.

Comment

Originally posted by Papa Nambu View Post
      I'm having trouble with the handwriting myself, but it does remind me of one of my flags http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=491525 which was signed by a general. Appears to be the owner's name in big kanji, then rank and name of the person who presented it.

Thanks Papa, at least your input confirms two things; I was on the right track, and Japanese names are still well beyond my feeble translations skills.

Comment

Anyone else care to take a stab at this? I'm looking at you Nick

Comment

I don't want to deprive you of the fun of figuring it out yourself, so I'll give you guys a hint in the form of a photo.
          Attached Files

Comment

Hmmmmmm.....

Comment

What, not enough? How about 国威宣揚 ?

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Komiya View Post
                What, not enough? How about 国威宣揚 ?

"Lots of _?_ prestige in the country" ? Edit: "Spread _?_ National Prestige"?

Common slogan?

Other Kanji are dedications to a person? I can not do names....

Comment

Yes, it's a common slogan, meaning to Flaunt National Prestige. It's signed by a Lt. General of the Army, who I guess is Kanetoshi Kondo 近藤兼利. I could only make out for sure the second kanji in the name 藤 and by checking all the generals with that character in their names, I also considered 藤江恵輔、Keisuke Fujie, but his signature looks quite different, so I ruled him out. 

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Komiya View Post
                    Yes, it's a common slogan, meaning to Flaunt National Prestige. It's signed by a Lt. General of the Army, who I guess is Kanetoshi Kondo 近藤兼利. I could only make out for sure the second kanji in the name 藤 and by checking all the generals with that character in their names, I also considered 藤江恵輔、Keisuke Fujie, but his signature looks quite different, so I ruled him out. 
                    Nick, thank you.

I truly appreciate your efforts and knowledge.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                    X