Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IJA Field Caps..(stars).

Hi All,
    Like to share two of my field caps with different ways of sewing on their star. Both are dated ㍼ 十九. The one on the right is named to a Takamasa S***izu (under the leather liner) and has the star sewn on differently then my other field caps. Is this just as common as the one sewn on the left?
    Thank you,
    Rodney
    Jpns Field Caps .jpg
    Jpns Field Cap's star .jpg

Named field cap:
    named field cap.jpg

Comment

I'm a little unsure about that one on the right. All the caps I've seen before with that cheap pressed paper(?) chin strap have been civilian work caps, and sometimes people add a star on there and sell them as late war army caps. I can't say the army never used such caps, but I haven't seen one yet with a star that didn't look suspicious. Maybe someone out there has one with a legit depot stamp?

Comment

Hi Papa Nambu,
        Here’s more pictures of the sides (loops for havelock and vent holes) and inside depot block stamp and block stamp for the name. The chinstrap is made with some kind of rubberized cloth material and is stiff like those found on rubberized nambu holster’s shoulder strap.
        The star is sewn on very similar to the stars that are sewn on the padded type collar tabs.
        Hope the pictures are clear enough to determine if its good or a bad IJA field cap. I got this from a friend in Japan in the early 90’s.

Thank you,
        Rodney
        IJA Field Caps .jpg
        IJA Field Caps:inside.jpg

Comment

more pictures of the block stamps:
          IJA Field Cap:block stamp-date:size.jpg
          IJA Field Cap:block stamp-name.jpg

Comment

IJA collar tabs with similar sewn on star like the field cap:
            Jpns Collar Tabs.jpg

Comment

OK, those pictures and the information about the strap make me feel more comfortable about that cap being military.

Haven't seen a star sewn on like that before, but I don't think it's a big issue. It was hand sewn rather than machine sewn. Could have just been to keep the sewing machines working on the more important stuff while the less skilled workers (often high school girls) could manage sewing stars on like that.

Here are the stars on my 2 EM caps just for further reference
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Papa Nambu; 04-28-2011, 03:12 AM. Reason: add photos

Comment

very nice field caps which looks good to me. The rubberized chinstrap looks also original.

Alex

Comment

Originally posted by alderbayer View Post
                  very nice field caps which looks good to me. The rubberized chinstrap looks also original.

Alex
                  It's paper

Comment

Thanks All,
                    Papa Nambu, nice complete stars, could you please post the whole field cap, I just love field caps!!
                    Alex, thanks for your !!
                    NFL, I'm now sure what paper chinstraps feel like but the one on the field cap is stiff and I think will break if I bend it. You can see the front of the chinstrap has cracked (taped in the back when I got it). Does paper chinstraps start to harden and get stiff as it ages? It really feels like a layer of rubberized canvas shoulder straps on a Nambu holster.

Back to the star. I found a picture of one in Mike Hewitt's book, "Uniforms and Equipment of the Imperial Japanese Army in World War II". On page 61 has a field cap with the same sewn on star (as the one I posted on the right) except it is sewn on a pentagon shaped wool backing and then attached to the cap.
                    Last edited by RodneyO; 04-29-2011, 12:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RodneyO View Post
                      Thanks All,
                      Papa Nambu, nice complete stars, could you please post the whole field cap, I just love field caps!!
                      Sure, I'd be glad to.
                      I have 3 IJA caps, the first is a cave find from the Philippines, in bad shape.

Next, a standard enlisted man's cap.

Finally an officer's cap

Comment

Originally posted by RodneyO View Post
                        ... I'm now sure what paper chinstraps feel like but the one on the field cap is stiff and I think will break if I bend it. You can see the front of the chinstrap has cracked (taped in the back when I got it). Does paper chinstraps start to harden and get stiff as it ages? It really feels like a layer of rubberized canvas shoulder straps on a Nambu holster....
                        "Paper" chinstraps are typical for late war caps. These "paper," economy measure articles, are actually a type of bark fiber (impregnated paper and other materials mixed in).

Comment

Hi Guys, thought Id post a picture of my IJA field cap with late war chinstrap to help clear things up.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Papa Nambu, , All Topnotch examples of combat used field caps!! The one from the Philippines has great character! Most you find (eBay, websites etc.) are unissued and rarely seen in the condition you have with the names of the soldier written in the liners.
                            Zach, now I get it, impregnated paper, I really need to get around an see more original field cap!!!
                            lsmilitaria, Thanks for sharing your late war field cap . What's the date of your cap? Your chinstrap is made with different type of material then mines. There are layers and the one on my field cap seems to be only one layer.

Here my small family of field caps. The one laying flat was said to be from Okinawa and was flamed in a cave with a mess kit and knee mortar round (a grouping). That's the story I got from Mohawk Arms Inc. when I picked it up many years ago!! (I know, never buy the story)
                            IJA Field Caps.jpg

Comment

Rodney, Great Picture! Here are a few shots of the interior of my cap. I dont know who the maker is. Would you have any idea? I mainly collect German items but have slowly put together a japanese display for some time now. This cap is interesting as the vet who brought it back, wrote his name, home address and dated it april of 1942. Maybe the time he enlisted... As for this chinstrap, I think at one point is was one solid compressed piece, but over the years the fibrous material has loosened up and so now were seeing all the layers.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X