Japanese helmet and cover translation please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by maverick87 View Post
    Nice set, but, the stamp inside the cover says it was manufactured "Showa 16" on the stamp, which is "1941", but you said it was captured Dec. 1940?
    I think it says that the man was captured in 1940 and got the helmet when he was released over 3 years later.

Comment

British soliders surrendered in Hong Kong on Xmas day 1941. POWs captured in 1941 were eventually released from Japanese internment in August 1945 (those who survived that is).

The eBay seller stated that his father was captured in HK on Xmas day 1940. He is factually wrong, as the Japanese occupied HK in December 1941 soon after attacking Pearl Harbour. The eBay seller seems to suggest that the helmet was acquired by his father upon his release from internment in 1945. Who knows?

As many experienced collectors remind us constantly: buy the item and not the story.

Comment

I had someone help me out with the white kanji that is painted on the rim of that helmet (our of curiosity). This is my assessment. The first three kanji from right to left reads "Hong Kong". That is for sure. So at least that part of the story sounds pretty sound. The rest of the kanji refer to a "Makoto Kozuru team". The kanji are the same ones for the name of the famous Japanese baseball player of the time, Makoto Kozuru. The thing is that the real Makoto Kozuru was serving in the Japanese navy from 1943 to 1945 (I believe), so it couldnt have been his helmet, and that fact that it says "team" or "group" made me think that the group of soilders may have choosen the baseball player as their group nickname? I'm not sure if this would work, just my guess. If anyone knows better Japanese, please step forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Downey View Post
          British soliders surrendered in Hong Kong on Xmas day 1941. POWs captured in 1941 were eventually released from Japanese internment in August 1945 (those who survived that is).

The eBay seller stated that his father was captured in HK on Xmas day 1940. He is factually wrong, as the Japanese occupied HK in December 1941 soon after attacking Pearl Harbour. The eBay seller seems to suggest that the helmet was acquired by his father upon his release from internment in 1945. Who knows?

As many experienced collectors remind us constantly: buy the item and not the story.
          Naughty naughty . It does not say he was captured in Hong Kong if you read it . Listen the sellers dad like most did not like to talk about his time in captivity , it was only after explaining to him that my grandfather fought in the same area during WW2 that he told me what he did . Before you buy the item and not the story try reading the story first . . Rob
          God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Thankyou Maverick I guess it seems possible though I thought they were rather a strict humourless bunch . Perhaps The Baseball player visited Hong Kong during the war to gee up the troops and autographed a few helmets much like Dame Vera Lin did ? Fascinating . Rob

Comment

Originally posted by ROBB View Post
              Naughty naughty . It does not say he was captured in Hong Kong if you read it . Listen the sellers dad like most did not like to talk about his time in captivity , it was only after explaining to him that my grandfather fought in the same area during WW2 that he told me what he did . Before you buy the item and not the story try reading the story first . . Rob
              OK sorry you are correct. The helmet seller merely states that his father was captured by the Japanese on Xmas day in 1940. Where the capture occurred is not specified. But that is still curious. The Japanese were not at war with the British until December 1941.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Downey View Post
                OK sorry you are correct. The helmet seller merely states that his father was captured by the Japanese on Xmas day in 1940. Where the capture occurred is not specified. But that is still curious. The Japanese were not at war with the British until December 1941.

It says he was stationed in Shanghai.

Great looking item!

Regards

Russ

Comment

Michael thinking about it you are probably correct . I suspect he was stationed in Shanghai but captured in Hong Kong on Christmas day 1941 where he spent 44 months in captivity , before being liberated . You know what its like with ebay sellers they dont really care about details . He has an unusual surname so if you know of any list of pows in Hong Kong we could check him out . Thankyou for the comments guys . Its been a long time coming but I am delighted to own at last a matching helmet and cover . Rob

Comment

Thank you Rob. No doubt about it. Nice helmet and cover. Let me know if I can help with locating a list of British prisoners held here in Hong Kong during the the war. It is not my area, but I would be a bit surprised if there was no such list in existence.

Comment

Hey Robb, make sure you get as much info about the Brit soldier as possible, at least name and date of birth. This way there will always be a way o tryin gto check ou the story somehow or other.

People frequently confuse years in december in january, and the seller probably made a mistake in the dates when writting his email.

The story sounds interesting and real enaugh to be preserved, especialy if Hong Kong is actualy written inside the helmet.

JL

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                      X