Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

95 NCO with brass handle

Welcome.
    Looking for info on Japanese-produced military swords with brass handle.
    Estimated number, comparable value to those with aluminum handles.
    For any information thank you in advance strongly, this is my first post on the forum and I am counting on your help.

I'm terribly sorry for the lame english

Regards.

That's a copper handle and I believe the first of these type 95s. The other info some of the sword guys should have a better idea.

Comment

Nco swords with copper handle has arsenal serial number to prox. 10000
      This type lacks the mekugi screw near fuchi ,but are mounted with screw on the kabutogana.

Value depends on condition ,but they are much rare than the alu.

Comment

These are being faked in China, so be very wary when buying one.

Comment

Actually, I thought about buying one in the auction house (antique shop) Condition is good but I am interested in whether the price of $ 2,000 for the rarer model is in order.

Comment

Yes , watch out for the fakes they have brass handle.The real ones are made of copper.
            Does the number on the blade match the one on the scabbard?
            The scabbard on this type lacks dragshoe.

Imo it schould be in very good condition with knot for 2000usd.

Comment

I would like to post pictures, unfortunately I do not want to break the rules.
              Unfortunately, as I do not know whether the number of sword is the same as that for saya.

The set itself is a katana, and saya which 90% is covered by an original paint, the seller provides the originality and repeats several times that the handle is specifically made of brass.

Signatures on Fushi is the Kokura arsenal and Koishikawa arsenal, the sword serial number: 2842

I'm just very curious because I've never met with this model, the sword, I would ask for any original images or referral to sources of information.

Once again, I'm terribly sorry for my lame english

Best Regards.

Comment

Its rare to find the early type with paint on scabbard.
                Its not a katana but a shingunto

<embed src="http://img706.imageshack.us/slideshow/smilplayer.swf" width="426" height="320" name="smilplayer" id="smilplayer" bgcolor="FFFFFF" menu="false" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" flashvars="id=img706/type95ww2japanesencoshi.jpg"/>

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/5...nesencoshi.jpg
                Last edited by gunto; 06-22-2010, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Apparently they were not covered with paint as the aluminum.
                  Many thanks for any help, and I will be grateful for any further information.

Comment

The copper handle was not painted or polished.
                    The sarute was made of leather.
                    No Mekugi.
                    The drag was made of brass.
                    Wood liner in scabbard.

I just noticed that the leather knot on the sword in the picture is a replica.Made by me

Comment

It is very rare to see copper handled NCO swords with most, or indeed any, of the original finish intact.
                      Attached Files

Comment

The copper handle and brass guard were lacquered when issued. But by reason that these early NCO guntos tended to see a lot of field use they usually are found in very salty condition and are almost unrecognizable compared to their original finish.
                        Attached Files

Comment

The steel scabbard and scabbard fittings were plated with a gold coloured plating/wash prior to the scabbard being painted.

The scabbard fittings (including the drag) were left unpainted and were finished with only the gold coloured plating/wash showing.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Michael Downey; 06-22-2010, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Notice how the drag is a uniform rounded corner U shape. This is unusual because most drags observed on these early model swords have lost their uniform appearance. The underside rounded corner of the drag is normally seen as a 45 degree slant occasioned by constant use.

The blade is also in unusually good condition. Most blades that encountered are either heavily pitted or covered in a very black patina.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Michael Downey; 06-22-2010, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Notice the wear on the top of scabbard caused by (presumably) the metal sword hanger. The paint has been worn away revealing the gold plating/wash underneath. There is some minor pitting on the upper side of the steel scabbard resulting from the removal of the protective finish.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                              X