No announcement yet.

Okinawan Tunnel Relics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fantastic article! Here's another website to Camp Kinser Museum Okinawa.
    http://okinawarelics.com/museum.aspx

Comment

Forgot to mention, my brother-in-law is from Miyako, Okinawa. He gave me a picture of his grandfather who was in the Japanese army. Wish I knew more......
      Rodney

Comment

Originally posted by RodneyO View Post
        Forgot to mention, my brother-in-law is from Miyako, Okinawa. He gave me a picture of his grandfather who was in the Japanese army. Wish I knew more......
        Rodney
        HI Rodney,

My mother is from Miyako and her father (my grandfather) prior to the war sold horses and sake before being drafted into the Japanese Army. They were very well off and im sure at one point your his grandfather may have known him. Very kewl....

David.

Comment

Aloha David,
          Indeed they might have know each other. When visiting my brother-n-law (in 1994) he stopped and talked with a elderly man and later told me he was from Miyako. I ask him if he knew him and said "no" but spoke in the same dialect. He told me that Okinawa, Japan and people from Miyako have all different dialects but to me all sounds the same! I'm Japanese but no can speak or write !!

Rodney

Comment

I was stationed in Okinawa, as an army photographer, in 1966-67.
            After seeing a child's skull that one of the other people in our bay kept in his locker, a buddy and I decided to check out the caves around Hacksaw Ridge.
            We took a taxi to as close as we could get, walked through a farmers field, where we found a deactivated Japanese grenade, and finally made our way through jungle-like growth to the backside of the ridge.
            While wandering through the undergrowth, we discovered two cases of live Japanese grenades, a few bones, an unexploded artillery round, and some soles of the split toed shoes the Japanese wore.
            Eventually we found the opening of a cave, large enough to stand up in, which was empty except for communication wire laid along the floor of the cave.
            After the cave. we found our way up to the top of the ridge, where we had a terrific view of the WW2 landing beaches, which are now the site of Ft, Buckner, etc.
            On our little excursion, I took some great photos that have gotten away from me since my time in Okinawa. I've kicked my self ever since. But now, seeing what Davenport, and then his son, have accomplished, I am pacified and at peace. I only wish I had run into him then, so that I could have joined him in his most worthy endeavors.
            And I still wish I had the photos to show everyone now. But they will just have to remain tucked away in my memory.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
            X